Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5-01 Moose?

5-01 Moose?

Well, after not having any LEH success in the last six years I have a moose tag in region 5-1. My occupation only allows me weekends but my direct supervisor has allowed me to make next weekend a 4 day weekend.
    Unfortunately the friend I had the shared tag with had to cancel but another friend is still onboard. If successful this will be the first moose for both of us. I’ll freely admit that I’m a little intimidated.
    Anyone care to throw me some pointers on either the area, calling or news on the rut given the recent weather?
    "How, given the canine teeth and close-set eyes that declare the human animal to be a predator, had we come up with the notion that oat bran is more natural to eat than chicken?" Valerie Martin, The Great Divorce

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 5-01 Moose?

I also have that draw. I believe you actually had the draw last time I drew as well haha. Without giving away too much info, I will tell you that things are looking decent for this year. A family member of mine had the Oct 1-15 draw and they ended up spanking a 47" bull after passing up on a few other smaller ones. I set my trail cams up August long and have over a dozen different bulls on camera. They will not likely respond to calling for our draw period however there still may be the odd curious young bull that comes in to inspect a cow call. Stay away from bull calls. I would focus on areas with lots of feed as I am fairly certain that weekend will be our first real cold snap of the year which should have the moose moving and feeding heavy in anticipation of winter. Find the areas with red willow and poplar groves, the moose won't be far!

Sorry Sapper do you have the Oct 15-30 draw or the Nov 1-15 draw? If you have the October 15 draw there is still a chance of calling in bulls if you're going up this weekend. They were still coming to the cow calls last weekend.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. Yes, I believe you are correct that we both had the tag together 6 years ago. We’re going to be staying just out of Lone Butte on Hathaway Lake. Yup, i’ve been watching the forecast closely and I was glad to see the temperatures dropping and some rain coming this weekend.
    Our tag is Oct. 15-30.
    "How, given the canine teeth and close-set eyes that declare the human animal to be a predator, had we come up with the notion that oat bran is more natural to eat than chicken?" Valerie Martin, The Great Divorce

Good luck guys, I got mine Sept 11th.
    I found him in a new clear cut. Called there the night before.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Congrats on the bull Tigrr. There have been a few going down around here this year. Do you have any pictures? Would love to see if you do. Calling has been more successful up here this year than the past few in my experience. When the wolves were at their worst we went years without calling in a bull. We saw moose but they were silent.

Sapper - you still have a good chance at calling in bulls this weekend with the cow call. The cows who haven’t bred should be coming into their second estrus. Majority of the big bulls have done their thing already and will be back in the thick stuff but this is a chance for the little guys to breed so they are overly eager when they hear that super slutty cow call. It has been hot and dry up here especially for this time of year so focus on areas with easy access to water and of course feed. Be sure to let me know how you make out.

Chris .

Don’t be intimidated ! Be one with the moose, tell yourself you know what your doing ! Watch some YouTube videos on moose calling ,practice,practice ! Do you know how to field dress an animal ? If you do you should be just fine If you don’t know how ,watch some YouTube Videos and ask for help on HBC . There are lots of seasoned moose hunters here on HBC
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by sapper View Post
    Well, after not having any LEH success in the last six years I have a moose tag in region 5-1. My occupation only allows me weekends but my direct supervisor has allowed me to make next weekend a 4 day weekend.
    Unfortunately the friend I had the shared tag with had to cancel but another friend is still onboard. If successful this will be the first moose for both of us. I’ll freely admit that I’m a little intimidated.
    Anyone care to throw me some pointers on either the area, calling or news on the rut given the recent weather?
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by sapper View Post
    Thanks, Chris. Yes, I believe you are correct that we both had the tag together 6 years ago. We’re going to be staying just out of Lone Butte on Hathaway Lake. Yup, i’ve been watching the forecast closely and I was glad to see the temperatures dropping and some rain coming this weekend.
    Our tag is Oct. 15-30.
    be safe...call lots...have fun....enjoy....
    cheers
    Steven

Thanks for all the pointers and the chat last night, Steven.
    Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    be safe...call lots...have fun....enjoy....
    cheers
    Steven

Thanks, this will be my first moose if successful. Had to field dress many deer and am a little intimidated about the field dressing of the moose but we'll make some life memories and get it done. Then sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Don’t be intimidated ! Be one with the moose, tell yourself you know what your doing ! Watch some YouTube videos on moose calling ,practice,practice ! Do you know how to field dress an animal ? If you do you should be just fine If you don’t know how ,watch some YouTube Videos and ask for help on HBC . There are lots of seasoned moose hunters here on HBC
    Arctic Lake