Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting Mountain Lion without Hounds

Re: Hunting Mountain Lion without Hounds

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    I don’t want shoot a cougar but I would pay to tree a cat. Is there a place for that?
    Catch and release?

Here he is spookin the Deer. He looks pretty wide, very limited visibility of him though

I would of most likely been right off of that trail in an ambush that morning that time had I not been at another Blacktail spot that day and the next

Couple ways to get a cougar with hounds.. watch for ravens,crows,eagle and find a fresh kill.. drive tell you cut fresh tracks put on pack and get after him long process.drink beer blair music and cover ground in truck tell you find one. All of these methods tale time and energy and i have succefully done all three above. Gou can also help with farmers having issues and use a caller.. if theres a cat in your spot he probably wont leave until he almost wipes out your pocket.. get on him....

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    if theres a cat in your spot he probably wont leave until he almost wipes out your pocket.. get on him....
    Ffs this is what i'm thinking..... starting to research this intensely and add on to advice here. Going to give it all I got

Ya if the pockets good they will comebback but it wont be quick. Might be 5 years of healthy fawns..with whitetails when the cat comes the deer leave then come back.. i have seen with mule deer they smash the population.

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Ffs this is what i'm thinking..... starting to research this intensely and add on to advice here. Going to give it all I got
    Good luck man. One day I'd like to get a couple dogs trained up, until then I just keep a tag on me in case I get lucky and run into one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Good on you for diving into it. I am looking to do the same this winter. Was out for the last weekend of rifle whitetail bucks and it had snowed overnight, but cleared in the morning. Nothing but large fresh cougar tracks at a couple of the usual spots… Ended up circling back later and found a fresh cow elk kill, out in the open. Must have happened just that morning.

Quote Originally Posted by breakaction View Post
    Good on you for diving into it. I am looking to do the same this winter. Was out for the last weekend of rifle whitetail bucks and it had snowed overnight, but cleared in the morning. Nothing but large fresh cougar tracks at a couple of the usual spots… Ended up circling back later and found a fresh cow elk kill, out in the open. Must have happened just that morning.
    Have started researching tonight, behaviour traits/habits and general information on them. As well as the best way to go about it, have been seeing mating calls actually being a not bad way, which I never thought of. Also areas/geography that they apparently prefer Hunting in.

This area already has a lot of Bear and Coyote that seem to get a lot! Of the fawns.

Hope all the best, and that you connect on one!
    Last edited by TheObserver; 11-28-2022 at 10:06 PM.

I have caught a few on my local trail cameras when I used to put them out - in the same area my buddy had one run across the logging road and another stalk him he saw it when it was within 20 yards he was in the middle of a logging cut.

If I remember right a few years ago Gatehouse and a buddy of his called one in near Pemberton.

I always have a tag = I never see them but I am wanting to thin the local herd to save a few deer.

I have a Foxpro FX3 E-caller that I put cougar in heat and cougar kittens sounds on.

I'm kind of itching to get out after predators do some calling soon kind of tired of the slow blacktail season...
    Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...