Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting Mountain Lion without Hounds

Re: Hunting Mountain Lion without Hounds

I don’t want shoot a cougar but I would pay to tree a cat. Is there a place for that?
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    I've started researching it a bit and calling, so i'll see what sounds like the best way to go about it and maybe try it out in the next while here. I thought of a decoy with scent but nothing more than an idea at this point.

I heard waiting over a fresh kill is good but what are the chances of finding one.... pretty low. They intentionally drag it to cover to make it hard for ravens to find I believe. Though ravens were on the one I just found but it wasn't that fresh I think the cat was done with it.

Question when do they mate anyone know?
    They will mate at any time of year, so can have kittens at any time of year. So before you think you should run out and buy a tag to shoot one
    you should learn about them first and how to identify them. Just because there alone doesnt mean they dont have kittens, the females can leave
    there kittens for a day or 2 well out hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    I knew a guy who chased cats on foot. He would move on fresh sign and bark like a dog while running. I dont know if he ever caught up to one. I too will be out looking to track down a cat myself. I am pretty old so I dont expect to actually catch up to one but it will be fun trying!
    You'll be finding one this year young man!
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    I don’t want shoot a cougar but I would pay to tree a cat. Is there a place for that?
    Where are you located? I met a guy recently [ brother of my friends funeral that I was at ] that is an avid cougar hunter. He was very knowledgable on them and sounded like he's spent quite a bit of time devoted to the subject. I think that most of the time they would get the cat treed for the clients photos etc... He is in Grand Prairie alberta. [ I don't know what costs are involved though ]

Yeah, you can walk them down on fresh tracks, they are the apex predator so they don’t assume they will be followed. They don’t really travel that far in a day either, so if you can find fresh tracks you have a chance.

OP,

You want to cat hunt without dogs, just follow me around. The *******s seem to love me for some reason (friends refer to me as a predator magnet).

Seriously, An old timer once told me when you are seeing lots of cougar sign, you are in good deer country.

I,ve accidentally called in 3 cats (by called in I mean watched them stalk in). One with a bear buster call hunting spring bear, one with a deer talker call hunting island blacktail in Nov, one cow/calf calling archery elk while set up on a decoy (watched a very large cat stalk in).
    I saw 2 last Dec ( 2 cats together probably young siblings) last week of deer season about 15 minutes and 300 meters away after I had deer called. Wouldnt say I called them in but they were curious for sure.

Ive seen several more by chance in my travels. Ive done a pile of game calling over the years and Im sure more than this came looking but I never saw them. So I think calling could work for cougar, but very low odds way to hunt them
    Last edited by Ron.C; 11-26-2022 at 10:26 AM.

For starters make sure you purchase a cat tag April 1st every year. The cat season in region 2 is open 9 months/year.

I picked up an e-caller last year and have kept the hide from a local deer which i intend to hang near some wintering grounds and make a stand on that.

I have probably incidentally seen more than most people have, but have never had a thought to shoot one.
    Last edited by MichelD; 11-26-2022 at 01:16 PM.

Anything is possible . get a tag .. thats it . make sure its a Lone Cat learn to read a track . Look for a Big track . long stride . there are more cats out there than you know
    " Never tell me the Odds "

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    Are you meaning you just want to tag along on a chase.