Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Binocular Comparison

Hybrid View

Binocular Comparison

Looking for input from people who have experience with either the Leupold BX-1 binoculars and vortex diamondbacks. Dont need to be told to buy only the big 3. Because I have. Looking to buy as a Christmas gift for someone who’s just getting started in hunting and I’m not wanting to break the bank on them. If they decide in a couple years they love it then they can buy there own higher quality stuff. Any other recommendations in that $300 to $400 range are welcome. Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Binocular Comparison

In your price range, I'd likely add Nikon to your search.

Check out Carson binoculars 10X42 they have a website. i have swarovski but used my sons Carson binocs on this years sheep hunt and they were amazing. You can get them for a very reasonable price on the low end of your budget. worth every penny and more.

I have Nikon Monarch5 10x42. Way better than the Diamondbacks and go on sale fairly often for about $400.
    Actually here they are for $418 with a harness; https://www.visions.ca/product-detai...&sku=PKG005392

Edit to add; I bought them when I already owned a pair of Diamond backs in 8x42 and the Nikons were way better comparing them side by side.

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    I have Nikon Monarch5 10x42. Way better than the Diamondbacks and go on sale fairly often for about $400.
    Actually here they are for $418 with a harness; https://www.visions.ca/product-detai...&sku=PKG005392

Edit to add; I bought them when I already owned a pair of Diamond backs in 8x42 and the Nikons were way better comparing them side by side.
    I agree with KBC. The Monarch 5s are very good binos for the money. I had a set of Diamondbacks and thought I’d buy the wife a pair of binos for birdwatching. I picked up the Monarch 5s and was really impressed with them. So impressed I bought a pair of Monarch 7s for myself.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

I have both Leica 10x and Vortex Vipers in 8x. The vortex are lighter and easier to hold steady. The glass is very good not quite Leica but very good. I read an article on a birder's website and bought them used but as new. They were up against all the alpha glass and came in second. Day hiking and blacktail hunting they are what I pack. IMO over the last few years the actual glass in Bino's and scopes has become much closer in quality(probably because of automation). The quality of the internals is what separates the best now. Not sure the Vortex will ever have the longevity of my Leica's(at least 30 years old) but so far so good. One suggestion I would make for a new hunter is that 8x's are a good option and a little less money.
    "Bullshit doesn't need to be countered by anything, just called out for what it is." Edward Teach

Firstly AVOID Nikon like the plague. I'm a life long Monarch owner and love them even still. But last fall one of the screw up eye covers broke so I asked for warranty help. NO, HARD NO they only offered me a discount on new pair. So much for 25yr warranty. I fixed them with gorilla glue and o rings!! They are now my truck binos.

This started me on a hunt for new ones. Long story short I got Carson 3D/HD 10x42 and they are unreal. I used one of those price checking apps for Amazon and once the deal was good I got them to the door for $350 They are much better than anything I looked through as 2 to 3 times the price,

If you got the newb a set of these they may never need to upgrade?
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    Firstly AVOID Nikon like the plague. I'm a life long Monarch owner and love them even still. But last fall one of the screw up eye covers broke so I asked for warranty help. NO, HARD NO they only offered me a discount on new pair. So much for 25yr warranty. I fixed them with gorilla glue and o rings!! They are now my truck binos.

This started me on a hunt for new ones. Long story short I got Carson 3D/HD 10x42 and they are unreal. I used one of those price checking apps for Amazon and once the deal was good I got them to the door for $350 They are much better than anything I looked through as 2 to 3 times the price,

Thanks never heard of these guys I’ll have to check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post

Those are the same ones my son has the carson 10x42 they are absolutley fantastic. i highly reccomend

I’m sending in my 20+ yr old Swarovski EL’s for warranty work.
    Will let you know how that goes.