Thread: Tarp size for three guys glassing?

Tarp size for three guys glassing?

Just curious if anyone has an opinion on tarp size.
    If the weather for up north looks like it's going to be Shitty, we'll want a tarp.

Lots of different sized tarps out there.

What is the best size to buy?

Do you experienced hunters recommend one tarp for three or should three guys have two tarps?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tarp size for three guys glassing?

3 guys shoulder to shoulder glassing or more eyes on more areas?

What are we talking about here? Moose camp?

I typically just buy cheap tarps from can tire when I see them on sale. You can’t really have too many. You can always set them up to block some wind or stuff under an animal while your skinning.

I’ve seen guys set up those shelter logic portable carports and stuff a wood stove in them to hang out and dry your gear while you’re not hunting

If your back packing or a long haul to camp a Sil tarp works wonders 10 x 10 can be used as an impromtu shelter to
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

On back pack sheep hunts. Every guy has a 8X10. When three of us went it rained like 12 of the 14 days. We used one to glass from (it was cozy and you are shoulder to shoulder and some ones feet might get some rain drops on them). 2nd tarp was used at camp and permanently staked/bouldered down. So when we came back to camp, you just had to throw some hiking poles up and it was up in about 20 seconds. At night drop the poles and cover all three packs. We used the third one as a tent fly when the First Generation Kuiu tent was acting more like a colander then a $1000 Three season tent.

For how light and compactable the whole package is (the sil tarps, plus a few tent pegs and about 50ft of cord), every hunter should be carrying this in their daypacks all the time let alone for a back pack sheep hunt. You could lay meat on them, I have seen guys use them to collect rain water for drinking. And if shit really hits the fan in the rain department, just wrap the thing around you like a blanket and weather out the downpour.

Like I said I consider this a must have in any pack I take out. Mine is in my day pack when i plan on riding the SXS around all day.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

alternately, i always carry one (or sometimes 2) of those rolled up heavy duty construction strength garbage bags in my pack if a tarp is too big for you to fit in your pack...if you cut a vee in the center bottom on one side it works as a bit of a hood..i also have my sitting cushion that i rarely use but would be glad for in an emergency overnight situation

X2 BHB nailed it

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    On back pack sheep hunts. Every guy has a 8X10. When three of us went it rained like 12 of the 14 days. We used one to glass from (it was cozy and you are shoulder to shoulder and some ones feet might get some rain drops on them). 2nd tarp was used at camp and permanently staked/bouldered down. So when we came back to camp, you just had to throw some hiking poles up and it was up in about 20 seconds. At night drop the poles and cover all three packs. We used the third one as a tent fly when the First Generation Kuiu tent was acting more like a colander then a $1000 Three season tent.

For how light and compactable the whole package is (the sil tarps, plus a few tent pegs and about 50ft of cord), every hunter should be carrying this in their daypacks all the time let alone for a back pack sheep hunt. You could lay meat on them, I have seen guys use them to collect rain water for drinking. And if shit really hits the fan in the rain department, just wrap the thing around you like a blanket and weather out the downpour.

Like I said I consider this a must have in any pack I take out. Mine is in my day pack when i plan on riding the SXS around all day.

BHB
    This is exactly what I was looking for as my intended use is for sheep hunting.

I've seen guys talk about the dyneema ones, but I feel like the cheaper sil will be good enough and supposedly more packable.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    3 guys shoulder to shoulder glassing or more eyes on more areas?
    very good point. I think having a couple with us makes sense.

Might want to consider packing a poncho
    more versatile than a simple tarp, tough to beat for weathering a storm when you can cover all yourslf and pack and still have mobility
    or just a room with a view to sit it out
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC