Thread: Clayochot Sound Fishing Late March

Clayochot Sound Fishing Late March

Heading to Tofino late March and wondering if there are members familiar with the area for small boat fishing. I'll just have my 14ft tinner with me with a 9hp motor and lookig for some protected water fishing.

Appreciate any advice you might have. Dont need anyones sweet spot, just an knowledgeable opinion on whether there is safe water in the inlet for that size of boat and launch location.

Thx very much.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Clayochot Sound Fishing Late March

May try pm’ing Iron Noggin.
    I think he is familiar with those areas.

On sportfishing bc in the saltwater section in the archived reports with a bit of time you can read about all the popular spots. On a great weather day you can do a lot in a 14ft tin boat as long as you keep in mind the only thing keeping you from swimming is the lack of water from one good wave in your boat
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

To the OP I did look in the reports on the fishing forum and there is nothing from early in the year, most discussion started in May and carried forward.

I can tell you I was just there over New Year's and some buddies who live there have done the odd target in winter of chasing the feeder springs inside the sound. We were going to go out but I recently had surgery on my foot and am in a walking boot so bouncing around in a boat would have gone against my surgeon's orders of no pressure on my foot.

Definitely check the regs as I don't know what is open for bottom fish in March, I seem to think lings opened in May last year.

Have a look at my post which is #3 at the link below as I have pointed out a number of good spots to fish on the inside.

https://sportfishingbc.com/threads/2...reports.90053/
    Last edited by MB_Boy; 01-03-2023 at 03:46 PM.

Launched a few times at Grice Bay long ago. Plenty of pretty sheltered waters up in there. Seen grey whales there once. Cool area.

It’s also possible to launch a small boat at Berryman Cove which is near the Kennedy River.

Quote Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    Launched a few times at Grice Bay long ago. Plenty of pretty sheltered waters up in there. Seen grey whales there once. Cool area.
    Most of the west coast of BC is phenomenal.

I encourage anyone who has not tried salmon fishing to try it atleast once.
    You won’t be disappointed, even if by the off chance the fishing is slow.

Thanks for all the great advice. Might also try Toquart Bay near ucluelet. I recall the beach launch area is pretty protected.
    Last edited by nelsonob1; 01-06-2023 at 10:19 AM.