Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Core Principles on Hunter Safety

Re: Core Principles on Hunter Safety

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Good point, I was at a much higher elevation and shooting directly down, rd being probably 150 yards past the said bull and at a higher elevation than the bull below me, was a skidder trail and not per say a rd. I had a clear view of the surrounding area, i knew no one was in the area other than the sxs, gives pause for thought though.

I don't know how you stalk/still hunt but i do not cover 3-400 yards in 9 minutes and I am sure his bullet would easily travel the 3-400 yards as he was shooting directly uphill from his sxs, but thanks for pointing this out, one can always learn. Did I shoot no, could I have yes.

Apparently there seems to be a member on here who is bullet proof and safety is highly overrated, just trying to bring attention to what could have been a bad outcome, positive comments are always welcome, the ones from the peanut gallery, well they serve no purpose. Again thank you for your input

My post wasn’t intended to be negative and I hope that it didn’t come across that way. I just wanted to point out that shooting towards a road isn’t exactly the safest thing to do.
    In the scenario you described( friend watched the bulls go over a hill/ridge ), I wouldn’t have been taking a ton of time covering ground to get close to where the bulls were last seen, hence my comment about covering 3-400yds in 9min

Arrow Re: Core Principles on Hunter Safety

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    It sucks to have a shitty experience like that, some "hunters" are just plain dicks.
    And some wannabe hunters are simply attention seeking Tools. Eh RugDoctor!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Oops posted on incorrect thread
    Last edited by Imdone; 11-22-2022 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Hey welcome back. sorry to hear of your wife's passing. Also sorry you had a scare in the woods.
    Can we get you to post a story and pictures of your success? Myself and others are on a mission to get this site back on track in terms of hunting content
    My Video Camera = Panasonic HDC-SD90

My youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/markt308

75 yards other side of a moose, hugging a tree, presumably some other cover in the way....I don't think the other hunter owes Piper an apology

another lesson could be don't target moose with a road/trail in the backdrop? these are the types of situations that happen when you hunt close to roadways and in crowded areas

wearing a blaze orange hat means what exactly? an orange hat hiding behind a tree isn't very visible...there is probably a reason other jurisdictions have minimum amount of orange written in the regulations

not following the outrage here? but hopefully I am more polite about it than Rug Doctor
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    My post wasn’t intended to be negative and I hope that it didn’t come across that way. I just wanted to point out that shooting towards a road isn’t exactly the safest thing to do.
    In the scenario you described( friend watched the bulls go over a hill/ridge ), I wouldn’t have been taking a ton of time covering ground to get close to where the bulls were last seen, hence my comment about covering 3-400yds in 9min
    No offence taken. Well it is hard to put into words exactly the situation, wind was at my back so had to get downwind of the bulls, they were only maybe 75-100 yards and other side of hill. So i got past where I thought they would be, moved up and over and like I stated the bulls came back down so I had to come back to them. I am not a fan of sprinting after an animal as it would take time to recover my breathing. All worked exactly to plan except the sxs coming in.

Also hard to explain on the rd situation but i was shooting directly down at the bulls probably 45 degrees so not shooting directly at the rd
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Quote Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post
    75 yards other side of a moose, hugging a tree, presumably some other cover in the way....I don't think the other hunter owes Piper an apology

another lesson could be don't target moose with a road/trail in the backdrop? these are the types of situations that happen when you hunt close to roadways and in crowded areas

wearing a blaze orange hat means what exactly? an orange hat hiding behind a tree isn't very visible...there is probably a reason other jurisdictions have minimum amount of orange written in the regulations

not following the outrage here? but hopefully I am more polite about it than Rug Doctor
    No problem but you were not there and you are assuming many things. No real cover from the shooter, tree I was leaning on was not very big, just a rest and after he bailed I tried to stand directly behind the tree, having time now to think about it I should have just shouted my ass off but then the moose would have probably taken off then who knows if multiple shots would have been fired at a moving target, one will never know. You know the funny thing is the day before when we scouted the area and my buddy went up on the ridge to check it out, all camo on, when we came back to pick him up I said we could not make you out but could see movement so I gave him and extra blaze orange toque i had, after what happened he said it will be his first purchase when he got home after what happened. As you probably know there is zero requirement for wearing orange in that area. Buddy who was at least 200 yards farther behind the shooter could see the hat but the point is mute, the hunter knew I was in there but did not know where and it was a grand total of 9 minutes since he saw me, so I think your points are fairly baseless, just my opinion and no offence meant., oh and by the way they were the first hunters I saw in 7 weeks in the bush so not a road hunter as you insinuate.

Also on a side not when i went to walk back to get my truck, the hunter apologized profusely to my buddy and said he was wrong and made a mistake, so hopefully a lesson learned.

Maybe if you have a situation like this happen to you, you might have a different opinion and thanks for yours. I only posted this up to maybe make people think a little more about being safe out there, not trying to be a hero and it doesn't take much to be more polite than RD.
    Last edited by Piperdown; 11-22-2022 at 05:20 PM.
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Quote Originally Posted by markt308 View Post
    Hey welcome back. sorry to hear of your wife's passing. Also sorry you had a scare in the woods.
    Can we get you to post a story and pictures of your success? Myself and others are on a mission to get this site back on track in terms of hunting content
    Thanks M308, I appreciate it and I also enjoyed your hunting story and yes you are right we need more hunting stories as this is what the site used to be and was intended to be. I probably won't post the story as I am getting enough flak on this thread.

Short story, 61, solo, not road hunting and tipped a very beautiful bull down, was another bull of same size and cow too. Got it back to the cabin hung skinned and quartered by 1:30 pm with my blaze orange hat on just in case... All the best to you

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    . As you probably know there is zero requirement for wearing orange in that area.
    I do agree that specific colours can help make hunters easier to identify but unfortunately, some of us are colour blind and reds/greens/brown and sometimes orange, don’t stand out. When I’m hunting I have adapted to look for shapes not colours and never use my rifle scope to try and identify anything.

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    I do agree that specific colours can help make hunters easier to identify but unfortunately, some of us are colour blind and reds/greens/brown and sometimes orange, don’t stand out. When I’m hunting I have adapted to look for shapes not colours and never use my rifle scope to try and identify anything.
    Well there you guy some more very useful information and thank you very much for that