Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Core Principles on Hunter Safety

Wink Core Principles on Hunter Safety

Hello to all the fine members here on HBC, yes it is I, Piperdown. I have been away for a few years after losing my wife to cancer and well to be honest there seemed to be no more hunting stories being posted on here, just nutbar conspiracy theories and talk about the Orange guy.

So please be gentle on the Piper for his first thread back....

Well this hunting season up at the cabin in 6-04 I came very close to being shot. I will try and tell the situation as best I can and keep it short. So I had 2 friends along for my Leh and we went to an area with some decent elevation to spot from. We split up and went on our ways.

I get a call from my one buddy, I have a shooter, great, I am about 4 km away but hike over. As I draw near he states the bulls have gone up and over between 2 hills and are now out of sight. Just then I hear a side by side coming up, so I stop on the little spur road I am on before venturing towards the moose. I wait and wave my shooting sticks at the atv, and they wave back so now they know I am going into this small area. I also have a blaze orange hat on, never hunt without one on.

As I hike up and over a small hill, buddy radios the moose have come back down and are in full view, I say no problem, jump down onto a bench in front of me. Find the bigger bull, get a good solid rest on a tree but am waiting for him to just turn a little more broadside. Bull is starting to turn, safety off and I hear the atv coming back, safety back on. The atv comes to a stop directly down from me so there is no way I have a shooting lane, I know what is going to happen so hug the tree I am behind, bang flop, bull down.

Now I am 75 yards directly behind the bull right in the line of fire, I wait a minute or two and then yell as I don't need the jacked up hunter letting fly with another shot. Well lets just say the conversation didn't go well. From the time the atv saw me and from when they came back was 9 minutes, he knew I was in there as there is only one way in or out. The hunter tried to dismiss it, said he was gone 30 minutes, as stated it was nine minutes confirmed by text messages sent, how far can one go in 9 minutes. I was less than 100 yards from where he had seen me.

Now hopefully things have changed on this site and I don't get racked over the coals but people you need to hunt safely and ethically, I didn't care about the moose, I care about living. I had weeks left on my leh and tipped over my biggest to date, 19 points. In parting with the hunter I suggested he retake his core course with emphasis on the safety part when hunting.

If this hunter is on this site I hope you learnt something, I think you did because as I went to hike to the truck you were apologizing profusely to my friend, but really that was a little to late, you could have shot me or someone else. Hunt safely and there will always be another chance at an animal, don't lose site of the situation you find yourself in when hunting.
    Last edited by Piperdown; 11-21-2022 at 12:33 PM.
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Core Principles on Hunter Safety

“Just nut bar conspiracy theories”

followed by

“please be gentle on the Piper”

No. you’re a tool.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Arrow Re: Core Principles on Hunter Safety

Quote Originally Posted by RugDoctor View Post
    No. you’re a tool.
    With that type of reaction it is quite easy to see just who the Tool here is.

Lucky you did not take a stray Piper!
    A$$hole move on their part IMO.

But happy you survived and managed to collect your moose later on.
    Should run that tale up soon Buddy!

Cheers & Welcome Back!
    Nogf
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Welcome back Pipes, your stories and experience have been missed.
    Pretty scary situation you were in, I've heard tales of people taking combined PAL / CORE Classes that last a total of 6 hours, glad you weren't injured or worse.

A lot of idiots and scum out there never expect people to know or do the right thing!

Hate to be that guy, but is it not illegal to track down/hunt an animal with 2 way communication like phones and radios?

Thumbs down Re: Core Principles on Hunter Safety

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Hate to be that guy, but is it not illegal to track down/hunt an animal with 2 way communication like phones and radios?
    So... don't be that guy.
    Pages 14 & 15 of the synopsis clearly spell out what is not allowed when hunting big game.
    Further defined in the Wildlife Act.

And in this case, "That Guy" is 100% in error...

Just saying...

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Well thank you guys for the well wishes, Rug Doctor is on ignore for a reason. Observer, years ago there was a section in the regs that outlawed radio or cell communication, but it is now legal, also a very valuable safety tool if ever in trouble. I do also carry an Inreach with me as I usually hunt solo as I was when I got my moose, not getting any smarter as I get older it seems...lol.

The sole reason for my thread was to hopefully save someone from having the same situation or hopefully stopping someone from getting hurt.

I thought awhile about posting a situation that happened to a good friend of mine this year, but I am going to post up as another learning situation. He had his foot blown off by a fellow hunter, loaded gun in the truck and obviously safety was off, an extremely sad and bad situation, 2 lives completed shattered. My thoughts and prayers are with him and I hope he recovers to the best he can.
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Quote Originally Posted by RugDoctor View Post
    “Just nut bar conspiracy theories”

followed by

“please be gentle on the Piper”

No. you’re a tool.
    I haven't even read the rest of this thread yet from beyond the RugDocters post but this is exactly why this HBC site is not what it used to be.
    Best look in the mirror there RD, for who's a tool.
    It's your type that have ruined this site.

Thanks PD for trying to make this a learning or teaching moment.
    Glad your safe .
    Tools like RD and friends, the circles not that big really the bunch of them should be permanently banned .
    Stay safe out there
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

A lot of idiots and scum out there never expect people to know or do the right thing!

No it is not.
    Years ago there were rules, unenforceable at best.
    Cels, Inreach, Spot, Satalite phone....... Why would it be any different.
    Unenforceable
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Then don't be that guy, who really cares.