Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elk or Moose?

Re: Elk or Moose?

Quote Originally Posted by montec assassin View Post
    Call me crazy, but I think it’s a mule deer. Regarding perspective, it is a few feet closer to the camera than the others if you reference the tree it is in front of. If you zoom in you can see the outline of what I would call deer antlers vs elk antlers. Definitely not moose.
    I do vaguely see the antlers now and you're right, they're not swept back like an elks...I saw what you said from the beginning about how much closer it is to the camera but, it still looks way bigger to me...thanks for the reply
    Last edited by HarryToolips; 11-20-2022 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Neck and nose are leading me to believe it’s a big mature Buck, and you didn’t catch his headgear.

that being said, there are elk in that area for sure. There’s plenty in Westwold, what’s stopping them from wandering north? Lots of great agg that way.
    I agree the neck and nose do look like a mature bucks but it's the colour that threw me off, although the pic isn't great quality and it's at night...

I agree there wouldn't be anything stopping them from coming this way, definitely lots of quality agricultural forage for sure..thanks for the reply..

Quote Originally Posted by Dench View Post
    Mule deer. Funny enough one time my dad ran in to someone hunting elk in the Kootenays. This guy showed my dad the elk he shot abdnit was a mule deer. The guy punched his tag and everything.
    Lol wow that's not cool...

Thanks for the replies everyone...sounds like the general consensus is a muley, which is cool cause his body looks huge so hopefully he's the big kind of 4 pt I'm after...

The deer in the first pic is several feet closer than the second for sure, just reference the upright stick behind it’s right hind leg. As much as I’m sceptical of agreeing with a majority these days, I have to on this one.
    Pretend hunter.

Mule deer. The light colour on the inside of the leg is the give away for me.

I’ve seen elk around Crystal Lake, but over 20 years ago.

It’s probably the same deer you have in the day time pic. Size and trees tell my eyes it’s a deer.

Mulie .....
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

It's a mulie buck.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕