Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elk or Moose?

Elk or Moose?

Got this pic on my T cam recently: not an area that traditionally has elk (Northern reg 3), but sure looks like an elk to me...sorry for the poor pic quality..lighter looking body than a moose with the dark mane...what's everyone's thoughts?

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a couple pics of mule deer for size reference....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

2. Site Sponsor

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Re: Elk or Moose?

Elk in my opinion! moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

definately not a moose...maybe a big mulie in the rut....I can't see any of the big yellow ass patch of an elk but my elk experience is limited

Call me crazy, but I think it’s a mule deer. Regarding perspective, it is a few feet closer to the camera than the others if you reference the tree it is in front of. If you zoom in you can see the outline of what I would call deer antlers vs elk antlers. Definitely not moose.

Neck and nose are leading me to believe it’s a big mature Buck, and you didn’t catch his headgear.

that being said, there are elk in that area for sure. There’s plenty in Westwold, what’s stopping them from wandering north? Lots of great agg that way.

My thoughts are mule deer as well. Possibly a bit of streaking with low light conditions.

Not that I don't want it to be an elk for you, Harry. Lol.

Mule Deer. Large one at that!

I would say it looks a lot like a mule deer. That being said, I have seen cow elk off of Green Lake Road which is lyit across the lake from the 3-30/5-1 boundary which is as much northern as region 3 goes.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Mule deer. Funny enough one time my dad ran in to someone hunting elk in the Kootenays. This guy showed my dad the elk he shot abdnit was a mule deer. The guy punched his tag and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dench View Post
    Mule deer. Funny enough one time my dad ran in to someone hunting elk in the Kootenays. This guy showed my dad the elk he shot abdnit was a mule deer. The guy punched his tag and everything.
    Lol sounds like my old man now that his eyes are getting sh***y

Jokes aside you got to have some serious eye or animal identification issues to pull that one off