Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Hunting Story

A Hunting Story

****EDIT check page 2 or 3 for fixed photos****

As a husband and father of three, it would be fair to say that any time away for hunting is cherished now more than ever before. September and October had yielded very little from a hunting standpoint; and not for lack of effort. My boots were worn out, and if I'm being honest, my spirits were wearing out too. I had been looking forward to November with hopes that the rut and cooler weather would turn things around. It's a hunt that I do with my dad, as well as other family. It's a special one.
    I arrived at camp and was welcomed by -20 degrees. Average people can't imagine being outdoors in temps like that, but not hunters. We live for it, don't we? I was fired up to get on the mountain the next morning. I hiked into a spot that held promise. Right near the top of the mountain I was overwhelmed by the feeling that there must be a deer nearby. I stood still and studied the trees and openings around me. Suddenly I noticed a face staring at me. Before I lifted my binoculars, I already knew it was a buck based on its broad nose. He was standing at about 60 yards, but all I could make out were his bases and the general shape of his antlers. Counting points would be difficult but I didn't get too excited because he did not look to be a legal four point muley. I took a short video of him; watching the buck and his doe for a minute or two before they slowly walked down a couple of little declines and through the trees. It was exciting. As I was wrapping up my hunt, I heard a call on the radio that my cousin had shot a buck and needed a hand. We were on the board.

Last edited by markt308; 11-21-2022 at 09:03 AM. Reason: fix photos
    My Video Camera = Panasonic HDC-SD90

My youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/markt308

2. Site Sponsor

Re: A Hunting Story

Beauty mule deer. Thanks for posting your successful hunt. That cold snap was wild. Makes it hard to sit for long though.

Continued.....
    It's amazing how the excitement and optimism in camp can skyrocket the moment a buck gets strung up on the meat pole. A few of us skinned out the buck while the others prepared a hearty breakfast consisting of eggs, bacon, sausage, and hashed browns. That evening I went on a drive with my dad. After a slow first hour or so, we spotted a group of does on a hill and waited to see if a buck would show up. They meandered away, and we decided to do the same. We began heading back to camp and about 45 minutes before dark I spotted a nice looking two-point not far off the road in a cut block. We admired him and took some pictures of the handsome buck. Darkness began to encroach on our hunt, however as we drove down a valley things got exciting once more. I stopped the truck suddenly. "What?" my dad said. "I just need to make sure that wasn't a deer" I replied. I reversed 10 yards and raised my bino's to my eyes. There, 270 yards across the valley and peacefully bedded under a tree, was a mature buck. "Big buck" I announced. Soon my dad and I had the spotter out to confirm whether or not he was legal. Light was fading and we would have to do this quick. It turns out he was a perfect 3x3. We were shocked as his frame was very enticing. Even though he wasn't legal, we enjoyed glassing him and his does, and it got us looking forward to the following day with great expectations.....

The next morning my dad and I decided to hunt a mountain that we have been hunting for decades. I had hunted it on the very first morning with no luck, but I had a feeling it deserved another go. We drove my truck up the snowy road. My tires would spin until the chains hooked up and pulled us up the mountain. The sunrise was stunning. It was pink and orange and red and the way it made the snowy mountain glow was simply amazing. Dad grabbed a photo of the sunrise as I hopped out and began my ascent. He would carry on 1 km further and we would reconvene after a few hours of hiking.
    The hike was challenging due to the deep snow and steep incline, but I was not in any hurry. The wind was steady, and blowing perfectly down the hill into my face. I worked my way up the mountain enjoying the many amazing looks it provided, however I had not found a deer yet. I decided to stand next to a tree and watch an open area for a while but this proved to be fruitless as well. It was now 8am and the wind continued to blow down as the sun rose higher in the blue sky. I figured the wind would shift soon, so I decided to hike higher and with the wind in my face and adapt my plan later depending on what the wind did.....

DDD. Dam Dandy Deer!
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Continued...
    I slowly pushed further up the mountain until the semi-open hillside I had been hiking on now presented me with a patch of thick evergreens covered in pillows of snow. This patch of trees was about 50 yards wide and 100 yards long. I walked to the right side of the thick patch until I reached the top. I stood still and glanced up the mountain as I caught my breath. Suddenly I glanced to my left, and there on the other end of the patch at the same altitude as me was a doe. She had spotted me and was giving me the death-stare. At this moment I pulled up my bino's and began glassing the bushes around the doe, but it was no use. It was very thick and snowy. The doe decided to head down slowly, using the thick patch of trees as cover between her and I. As she walked away she let out a half-hearted snort. I didn't want her spooking all of the deer on the mountain so I quickly let out a buck grunt with my tube in an effort to have her second guess whether I may have been a deer after all. I waited to see if anything was behind her but no luck. Now it was decision time. Do I continue up the mountain and assume she was alone, or do I sneak back down to the low side of the thick patch and try to get another look at her since I know it opens up down there?
    I'm not even sure If I made a decision consciously, but nevertheless my legs were taking me downhill quite quickly in an effort to backtrack and cut off the doe. The powdery snow was deep and quiet. I half walked and half slid down 100 yards to the bottom of the patch. I looked to my right and saw her emerge just as I reached the bottom. She had no idea I was there.
    I watch the doe begin to circle below me, right downwind. Behind her came another doe, then nothing. I reached for my videocamera to capture this beautiful scene. The sun, the snow, the deer...it was stunning. Then the buck came. I had thought this was just two does, but all of a sudden a love-struck buck ran up behind the last doe and proceeded to slam his nose right into her rear end. The three deer trotted below me as I shoved my camera back in my pocket while I counted points. Now circling directly below me I let out a "meh" which stopped him in his tracks. I counted to four and let my rifle do its thing. The buck folded in its tracks.
    I did not rush the moment. I reflected on how blessed I am, and I looked all around me and soaked up the incredible environment that I had been hunting in. People who get it, get it. I called my dad and told him I had a buck down. We have shot many bucks together over the years, and this is just another tremendous memory to add to the list.
    If you know me from years gone by on this site and youtube, you know that I usually carry a videocamera. I have not shared much over the last few years but I did an okay job of documenting this hunt and I will try to upload that at some point. Cheers and good luck out there. I hope others will share their stories too.

I’m not seeing your pics , but great story.

Great read and congrats! As above I can’t see the pics
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Great story. Thank you for posting it up. Good sized body on that mulie.