This sites lacking hunting content so I figured I’d share my buck.

Recently moved to northern Alberta for a few years. I’ve been trying to fill my tag for the last couple weeks. All the deer near AG land seemed to be in the fields was having little luck hunting fringe land. So yesterday morning I packed up and headed as far away From farmland as I could, to hunt this big river valley.

I was still hunting along the top of a steep ridge and it just felt perfect. I bumped this guy straight from his bed , and he took off. I blew my grunt tube and proceeded in his direction. Giving me glimpses here and there but keeping his distance we played cat and mouse for 30 mins. He finally gave me a shot , but I made a error by taking 1 more step to rest on a tree. He took off again. Convinced I blew my shot I was mad at myself. I blew my grunt tube 2 more times and curiosity got the best of him. He gave me one final opportunity at 120 yards and I let him have it. Got him with a 300wsm 165 partition. Heart shot , bang flop.

It was almost dark , and I forgot my knife in the truck. So I decided to drag him guts in. This was the worst drag I’ve ever endured and I think I will quarter and pack next time , boy am I sore today.

not a monster by Alberta standards but I’m happy with him , and this was a “bush buck” as they call them here. In bc we just call them bucks lol.

glad to have some meat in the freezer, heading out one last time next Saturday to try and get myself a bull elk then that’s it for me this year. Good luck all.