Re: What killed this Buck?

Tom Cat I Bet RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Tom Cat I Bet RJ
    He looks frickin wide hey Jim!

Maybe shot and never found..lay down to die? Predator found it and dined.?

Cool Re: What killed this Buck?

Don't cougars try to bury a carcass similar to a grizzly? That deer looks like it died from being shot. Usually the head will be turned back as their last attempts at fighting off an attacker, not usually just lying straight like that. Just my 2 cents. Maybe someone shot it and couldn't find it? Happens

I'd think a cat if the chew mark on the throat isn't from something else.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Quote Originally Posted by Deer_Slayer View Post
    Don't cougars try to bury a carcass similar to a grizzly? That deer looks like it died from being shot. Usually the head will be turned back as their last attempts at fighting off an attacker, not usually just lying straight like that. Just my 2 cents. Maybe someone shot it and couldn't find it? Happens
    They do sometimes, but i'm pretty sure they do it less than they don't do it.

After some extensive research i'm led to believe without doubt it was a Mountain Lion. Most likely the one on my cam there spooking that Doe. It's got all the hallmarks of a Lion kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Deer_Slayer View Post
    Yes cougars typically bury there kill, not always but usually.

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Something I forgot to ask if anyone knows, are Mountain Lions nomadic and they just move to where the feed is? kind of spending their whole lives on the move? or kind of stick to a general (albeit large) area as long as there is feed?
    My understanding is that cougars are territorial. They have a pretty large territory that they use and defend against intrusion by other cougars. That is a reason that problem cougars are dispatched rather than relocated -- because when you relocate a cougar it will probably be into the territory of another cougar and only one will survive.

Also, young cougars are in due course driven out of the mother's territory and they go roaming looking for new digs. In that way they can show up where a cougar had not been seen recently.