Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gang Ranch/Churn Creek Mule deer (5-3)

Re: Gang Ranch/Churn Creek Mule deer (5-3)

I think if you can get closer to the river, you'll see some great bucks. They'll be coming off the high country to the winter habitat.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltbullken View Post
    I think if you can get closer to the river, you'll see some great bucks. They'll be coming off the high country to the winter habitat.
    Thats what I was thinking too. I want to stay near the river, but judging from iHunter, its gonna be a bit tricky to navigate the private land to access the primo crown land on the river. I'm going to follow posted signs, but don't know ahead of time what it will be like. I'm hoping theres decent accessed permitted through the ranch to get to the crown land on the river, I've sent them an email but who knows if they will ever reply. I'm picturing a real nice pack out from down somewhere tough and beautiful on the mighty fraser... dream on eh

Ranch is not going to help you out. It always seems to be a hard grind uphill with a buck for me. But I still keep going back

I just spent a week on the east side of the river, relatively close. F'ing cold at night. Saw bucks high as well as low (by "high" I mean probably 5500', and by "low" I mean sagebrush country). Tons of sign in the snow and tons of does.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    I just spent a week on the east side of the river, relatively close. F'ing cold at night. Saw bucks high as well as low (by "high" I mean probably 5500', and by "low" I mean sagebrush country). Tons of sign in the snow and tons of does.
    Thanks Rob. Did it break -30C at night while you were there? I have good gear and a heat source but im hoping it only gets to -20C at worst... a few miserable nights is very tolerable, but no denying that anywhere from -20 and below is pretty brutal.

I appreciate the info. I'm hoping to stay lower in the sagebrush, good to hear the does are around and sounds like its possible to see some bucks down by the river. Im either gonna go north until i get beyond the ranch into crown land and hike/camp down towards the fraser, or hunt Churn outside of ranch property near the river along empire... at least thats how the plan is shaping up