Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gang Ranch/Churn Creek Mule deer (5-3)

Gang Ranch/Churn Creek Mule deer (5-3)

Hello everyone. Looks like I am going to go to MU 5-3 for my first solo mule deer hunt, in the gang ranch/churn creek area.

I will be hunting solo, looking for a good place to make camp and be able to do some hunting on foot, learn about some access roads, or other advice people may have about looking for 4pt bucks in this area.

I have the iHunter app, and from what I've researched you are able to hunt within Churn Creek area. Gang ranch is private land and from what I've read there is good signage on where you aren't allowed to go or hunt/shoot.

My current "plan" is to get there, get outside the ranch boundary, and just try to find areas to walk and glass from there.

Aside from that, do you have any advice for me in terms of where to go/start? Feel free to send a pm or I'm open to having a quick chat on the phone. Some basic guidance would help me feel more confident heading up to this area on my own!

PS. I will have chains, shovel, saw, cold weather gear, emergency beacon/sat phone, etc

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Gang Ranch/Churn Creek Mule deer (5-3)

good luck, that area is punched out pretty hard. Get as far back as you can

Do the ungulates (sheep deer) a favour and smoke every coyote you see. They are having a serious impact on these populations. Let us know if you see any sheep with lambs
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    good luck, that area is punched out pretty hard. Get as far back as you can

Do the ungulates (sheep deer) a favour and smoke every coyote you see. They are having a serious impact on these populations. Let us know if you see any sheep with lambs
    Thanks - I know the area is popular. My hope is there won't be too many people around by now, and maybe some of the big bucks have come down after most of the hunting pressure has passed. Might just be me dreamin tho...

I will gladly smoke coyotes as I've had other mentors tell me about their impact on the deer, especially in that area. And I will follow up here if I happen to spot some sheep.

if you have i hunter, you'll see there's a huge chunk of crown on the west side of the fraser. Head out farwell, the tire tracks will be pounded out into prime areas.

might see you there good luck

Put some miles on your boots, you never know.
    WSS BC Monarch Member
    WSF Member
    BCWF Member
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    might see you there good luck
    Cheers, I'm Jonny. I'll be out there solo, grey tacoma. Say hi - let me know if u need a hand while out there of course.

Quote Originally Posted by 264mag View Post
    Put some miles on your boots, you never know.
    Thats what I figure lol... I feel like its a beautiful place to go even though there is a lot of hunting pressure. The open country around there is awesome. I am actually traveling from region 2 and could go elsewhere. I was contemplating going to region 3... but something about the Churn Creek area is calling to me

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    if you have i hunter, you'll see there's a huge chunk of crown on the west side of the fraser. Head out farwell, the tire tracks will be pounded out into prime areas.
    Thanks! I'm traveling from region 2 actually and was gonna sneak in the meadow lake rd before 70 mile and head to the gang ranch bridge that way. I never considered accessing 5-3 from the farewell side, but thats a good idea too. I like the idea of getting into the open country

Quote Originally Posted by alkaliwolf View Post
    Cheers, I'm Jonny. I'll be out there solo, grey tacoma. Say hi - let me know if u need a hand while out there of course.
    i have red yj Russell