Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smith River Falls

Smith River Falls

Has anyone ever hunted the area of Smith River Falls up near Liard?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Smith River Falls

Hi Gathto,yes I have and when seeing your post it brought back many memories...
    takla

Sure have. Nice part of the province!

then you know the history there,,very cool.when we used to go in there it was little more than a grown over goat trail as it had grown in from the days after the original Alaska hyw was pushed thru.we hadto shore up the numerous rotten small bridges and always damaged the truck and trailer just getting in.We used to camp at Crooked lake and hunt the back side.Always came out with big bulls!Fishing was awesome there as well
    I understand the road in is much better these days.
    We always used to stay at Liard river hotspring on the way in owned in those days by the imfamous "trapper Ray"...spooky fellow.Famous for his "Barking Spiders"...lol

takla

Quote Originally Posted by takla1 View Post
    then you know the history there,,very cool.when we used to go in there it was little more than a grown over goat trail as it had grown in from the days after the original Alaska hyw was pushed thru.we hadto shore up the numerous rotten small bridges and always damaged the truck and trailer just getting in.We used to camp at Crooked lake and hunt the back side.Always came out with big bulls!Fishing was awesome there as well
    I understand the road in is much better these days.
    We always used to stay at Liard river hotspring on the way in owned in those days by the imfamous "trapper Ray"...spooky fellow.Famous for his "Barking Spiders"...lol

takla
    Definitely large bulls in that area. More than enough black bears and grizzly as well.
    Couldn't get into Crooked lake site as of a number of years ago (but that might be different now), but West lake has a nice spot to camp. Agreed on the road in years ago, but yes, it's better now.
    Was great fishing in both lakes for sure!

We sometimes camped at West lake as well until we got snowed in there once ...that hill comeing out was brutal.Come-alongs got us out that time..lol in the evenings the West lake would boil with fish raiseing to the fly.
    The moose hunting was best around Crooked in the old burn area's.Ive still got a weight tag from the butcher somewhere here that stated dressed weight of one of our bulls @ 1028 lbs.was a small monster!!

takla

Yea that little hill can be a bi*** for sure!
    Loved heading in to those lakes when I lived in the area.
    It's a shame there's not much left of the old airstrip/buildings. Was lots of cool stuff to look at.
    Probably saw more porcupines in that area than anywhere else in the province!

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlt1 View Post
    Yea that little hill can be a bi*** for sure!
    Loved heading in to those lakes when I lived in the area.
    It's a shame there's not much left of the old airstrip/buildings. Was lots of cool stuff to look at.
    Probably saw more porcupines in that area than anywhere else in the province!
    Agreed...was the old brick smoke stack still standing ? I brought a few old licence plates and metal signs out of that country over the yrs.They had a old dump site there as well where you could find old glass china bottles and cutlery.Lots of old truck parts eccetra..
    When was your last time in there Scout?

Quote Originally Posted by takla1 View Post
    Agreed...was the old brick smoke stack still standing ? I brought a few old licence plates and metal signs out of that country over the yrs.They had a old dump site there as well where you could find old glass china bottles and cutlery.Lots of old truck parts eccetra..
    When was your last time in there Scout?
    Feels like forever....maybe 6 years ago?
    The year after I was last in there the road was closed because of a slide. Was fixed up apparently and has been good to go for a while now. Passed on going in there the last few times I was in the area....once I was pulling my trailer (no way that was coming out of West Lake ), and the other time I was having transfer case trouble (no four wheel drive), and knowing what the towing rates are up there, I wasn't taking any chances!

Thanks for posts. Anyone have any pictures? Would you not recommend pulling in a camper?