Thread: 2x2 mule deer - from the farm

2x2 mule deer - from the farm

this is my story that i copied from TNOF.ca....i will have to try and upload my photos to the gallery and link them into the story later...our group was my buddy his 82 yo dad and his 23 yo son ...3 generations and me...

so the group had a good drive up to the farm from the lml...the young one had an appointment in chilliwack so he went from there and met us at our campsite

the 82 yo stayed in the camper and us other 3 stayed in the teepee ...
    the next day was sept 30 (the last day before any buck opened...)...

we got up early and decided to look the farm over for bucks in case there was a 4 pointer around but only 3 small bucks were seen.

in the afternoon, my daughter and her boyfriend came up from kamloops to visit so we decided to spend the rest of the day just letting them try a few shots with the guns I brought....

after a few shots we decided there was enough time to go look for some birds before the evening set in so my daughter and I walked a few side roads. We scared up 2 roughies but they were wary and didn't stick around long enough to get a shot at.. probably walked 10 km for grouse and about 6 for deer earlier in the day..I said good bye to the visitors and had a good bs session with the group before getting to bed...

5:15 comes early and after a good strong coffee we made our morning plan for any buck...we were there to help the farmer with his problem deer so we agreed to not be too picky...if it has wood it is good!!!..it would be an exact repeat of the previous day with my buddy and his son going to the far side of the farm....buddy's dad and I would start at the near side with me going all the way to the other end while buddy's dad would post up near the field where they would go if flushed from the first wooded area..

Just like the previous day I gently pushed about 15 does and fawns out of the field just as it was getting light and slowly they went into the first wooded area ...I quietly worked through them so as to not spook them into any bucks that might be hiding out in the wooded area...just like the first morning, in the first wooded area, as hard as I stared through the binos I couldn't get any of the deer to grow antlers...

After combing through the first wooded area on the farm, I quickly but stealthily moved along the edge of a connecting field and made my way into the far wooded area....the wind was wrong so instead of pushing into the bush of the 2nd wooded area, I skirted along the edge of it to the other side....when I got to the other side I circled around to the center of treed section and started to creep in...I got about 10 feet in and I spotted 6 or 8 deer mulling about at 100 yds...they had not seen me yet and were quartering towards me out of the thick stuff and into a good shooting lane ...I saw at least 2 with antlers so I scanned the rest of the group looking for a bigger buck trailing the group as i had lots of time.....they were at about 60 yards away crossing in front of me while I was kneeling down next to a tiny bit of cover when i determined no bigger bucks were to be had...I picked the bigger of the 2 bucks in the group of 8 and aimed high shoulder to clear the brush blocking his lower half .....the new to me 30-06 woodsmaster let out a bark with one of these.. (pic of a winchester power point)

and without a single effort from me, was ready to shoot again...heheh (gotta love a semi sometimes) ..I must have been a bit shakey down on one knee as I hit him a little forward of the front shoulder taking out his throat and down he went..I waited with scope on him until the rest of the group cleared out...

this is as he lay...no meat lost

amy2022buck - HuntingBC.ca Photo Gallery

after another 2 groups came to the farm and got their bucks that was it for bucks there so we decided to hunt the surrounding area after that...after a bit of exploring we were driving back to camp and really liked the look of the area we were driving through. so with about an hour of light left we jumped out of the truck and went looking for a buck...my buddy saw this one and was able to take it so we ended up with 2 between the 4 of us.

anondfbuck - HuntingBC.ca Photo Gallery

Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 11-22-2022 at 03:58 PM.

2. Site Sponsor