Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alpine Mule Deer with a 308win??

Re: Alpine Mule Deer with a 308win??

I would use a 165/68 gr bullet, conventional type. You are going to lose a lot of velocity no matter what bullet you use so I'd use one that will open up easily. A 150gr Accubond at the right velocity might get you to 500yds with enough velocity for the bullet to perform. But if you keep your ranges moderate, you can use most any bullet you want.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

There's nothing wrong with 308 for that.

I agree with the above. I have hunted moose and deer with a Tikka 308 and taken many an animal with it. Worst performance was 3 shots on a HUGE moose that took 3 shots to put it down. Every deer I took was 1shot and done. Furthest shot on a deer was about 300 yards and a moose at about 250 that dropped in it's tracks. Also 165 gr bullet.

Most people should be hunting with a 308.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

175 grain terminal ascent out of a .308 is sufficient legally for bison, I don’t think you’ll have any kind of issue with it for mule deer no matter the range.

308 is quite capable, I’ve owned many different calibers through the years and now exclusively use a 308. My rifle loves Barnes Vortex in 168g. This season I shot my moose at 300 yards, neck shot dropped it in its tracks. The bullet did a great job breaking the neck and I found it in tact under the skin on the opposite side. It was missing two petals but that’s to be expected going through tough bone. I would recommend a 308 out to 500 yards on a dear all day long. Rifle is Browning X-bolt Hells canyon, scope is a Leupold 4.5-14 X 40. Ps it was on 4.5 magnification when I pulled the trigger, as I was tracking the moose through thick bush up a hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltbullken View Post
    I would use a 165/68 gr bullet, conventional type. You are going to lose a lot of velocity no matter what bullet you use so I'd use one that will open up easily. A 150gr Accubond at the right velocity might get you to 500yds with enough velocity for the bullet to perform. But if you keep your ranges moderate, you can use most any bullet you want.
    Just curious. Why not a 168 TTSX? If it flew right mind you. A 168/65 grain bullet with a fairly high ballistic coefficient in either monolithic or partition is better than a 150 in either in my opinion.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

I think you have pretty well the perfect setup, .308 is an awesome calibre and your setup is one of the best all around for deer hunting in the alpine or thick forest on the way there. I really can't see you ever being disappointed with it, it has all the reach a person needs and 30 cal bullets are pretty awesome selection wise.

Be well.../B
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

Just incase anyone is looking for the .308 150gr ttsx Barnes ammo I stopped at cabelas in Abbotsford today and there was about 20 boxes on the shelf…..

As far as a nice light scope I have had great luck with the 3-18x44 swaro z5, it’s a beauty. Less than 17oz’s.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    I have the same rifle but could not find a 308. Ended up with a 300wsm. If I could of got a 308 I would of.

I’d say for your distances it’s golden. I like the 300wsm , but I really don’t need it. My max range is 400y I’ve set for myself.
    Seems like you boys oughta work out a trade…
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.