Thread: Peace 7B LEH Moose.......2022 odds?

Peace 7B LEH Moose.......2022 odds?

curious what the interest has been to these new leh offerings

Would anyone that has been a successful applicant please post up the odds they were up against
    should be printed on the permit

tia
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Peace 7B LEH Moose.......2022 odds?

7-46 4.7:1 for sept 16-30

but with 27° in sept total waste of time. With fuel prices might have to start hunting around home.

Sept 16-30 region 7-33 odds were 3.8:1

The hunt in 7-33 is where I’ve been going for over 13 seasons, and this year was no different except that we went up for the 2 day opener in October.

There were huge numbers of moose where I hunt; so many that it was almost silly!

I stepped out of the camper on day 1 and saw 2 moose within 1 minute, and just over an hour later when the sun was up enough to count points, we had 2 ‘easy’ moose down. ‘Easy’ being not too far that the extraction was not overly onerous and they were out before the afternoon cooled off and got dark.

Yes, it was a crazy long drive and the fuel was expensive, but the trip was worth it. And, we continued to see more moose over the next few days.

The 7B LEH is a purely political decision, and is entirely near-sighted and stupid.

If the majority fraction of moose that are not hunted are left on the landscape there will be many more vehicle collisions (it’s already a big problem) and the growing predator numbers are going to balloon out of control again, as they have in previous seasons.

Write to your MLAs etc and let’s get this corrected.

MH3
    NFA, CCFR, BCWF

thanks for the responses

trying to keep this about draw odds
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    thanks for the responses

trying to keep this about draw odds
    Sorry about that. I certainly appreciate how many discussions go completely sideways here and far off topic.

The alternative viewpoint, and likely the most common one, is that there should be absolutely no LEH for moose in this region and politics should play no part in game management; the moose numbers are very high (in the areas I frequent and hunt, at least), there’s no scientific basis to have an LEH on an abundant species and so on (see the BCWF’s response in the summer about this).

Both my wife and I submitted LEH applications for this area and neither of us were successful. Neither of us, nor many hunting partners, have had successful LEH draws in many years - so the odds don’t really matter much if one is not successful for long spans of time.

LEH is, in my opinion and research on the matter, an over-used and not necessarily effective management tool and should be used as a last resort in almost all situations.

Specifically relating to the Region 7B moose draw odds: there should be strong and collective pressure to de-politicize anything to do with wildlife and habitat management (among other things). And more-so when hunting and other activities are used as a purely political tool and the government’s response is to entirely misrepresent the results of consultations with affected individuals and groups, as in this specific situation.

The LEH in the region, according to the information presented by the government, is going to be under review for future hunting seasons. The best odds we have are to apply very strong pressure through social media, information campaigns, letter writing and so on, that the LEH should be entirely removed from this region, and also placed under review for other areas as per Jesse Zeman and the BCWF’s science based stance on this topic.

NH3.
    NFA, CCFR, BCWF

7-45, October 16th to 31st, 2.6:1

Got out a few times. Seen lots of moose probably close to 25 bulls. The majority of bulls spotted didn't meet the antler requirements.