Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Target Buck potentially spooked, What to do?

Re: Help! Target Buck potentially spooked, What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Send me gps i will go check for you so you dont waste your time out.
    Hey thanks man!! Appreciate it!

I need to know before the end of the month though please, PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Shitty, it will sting for some time but a clean miss is better than a bad hit. Out of curioisty did you miss low/high? Ive talked to allot of guys that hit or miss low as they drop their bow arm (forgetting all form) on a big animal. Almost like instant onset target panic. (Ive been there too).

In regards to shooting through grass/brush, try not to. It doesnt take much to deflect an arrow

If he didnt run off completely spooked, you may see him again. Still rutting and his urge to breed may best his survival instincts. If you are in a good spot where you are seeing lots of does, no harm in sticking it out. He may be back, or you could arrow another

But those big bucks dont get like that by repeating mistakes
    Yeah i'm f****n choked, definitely is!

I missed low and slightly left, it was not a perfect broadside double long. But I have taken this exact same shot, actually at the exact same yardage two years ago on a Mulie (though this was relatively flat and 2 years ago up hill) and it died instantly and fell on the spot, so I took the shot, I was actually surprisingly calm given the situation, probably because I had the complete element of surprise. Was more panicked hunting w.t. Does last month.

If I would have just waited then bleated, then I wouldnt have been able to ask for a better shot. But I was already drawn for 7-10 sec and who knows how long until he would have taken a couple more steps. I should have waited though.

Yeah I know that's why i'm wondering if he is skeptical of rattling so soon after, or probably doesn't think much of it. No way to know I guess.

Go get em. Goodluck
    majorguns

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Yeah i'm f****n choked, definitely is!

I missed low and slightly left, it was not a perfect broadside double long. But I have taken this exact same shot, actually at the exact same yardage two years ago on a Mulie (though this was relatively flat and 2 years ago up hill) and it died instantly and fell on the spot, so I took the shot, I was actually surprisingly calm given the situation, probably because I had the complete element of surprise. Was more panicked hunting w.t. Does last month.

If I would have just waited then bleated, then I wouldnt have been able to ask for a better shot. But I was already drawn for 7-10 sec and who knows how long until he would have taken a couple more steps. I should have waited though.

Yeah I know that's why i'm wondering if he is skeptical of rattling so soon after, or probably doesn't think much of it. No way to know I guess.
    Good thread and story here. Bummer about the miss. I'd be reluctant to rattle if I was 100% set on that particular buck, but that's just my gut talking. Maybe someone here has some actual experience with rattling on a second go after spooking it off after it came in on the first rattle.

Like walks with deer said... if we knew exactly where you are hunting, we could offer up better advice tailored to your particular situation

Hope you'll find that deer or an even better one that will make you glad you missed. Good luck out there!

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Good thread and story here. Bummer about the miss. I'd be reluctant to rattle if I was 100% set on that particular buck, but that's just my gut talking. Maybe someone here has some actual experience with rattling on a second go after spooking it off after it came in on the first rattle.

Like walks with deer said... if we knew exactly where you are hunting, we could offer up better advice tailored to your particular situation

Hope you'll find that deer or an even better one that will make you glad you missed. Good luck out there!
    Yeah it was pretty devastating man, unreal scenario though and bringing him in like that with the rattling and how all I could see coming up the draw was his rack was cool. Yeah that is what I was hoping for with the thread but that is a pretty rare/unique scenario I guess.

Hahaha funny guy that walks with deer hey, I sent him the gps location just tell him I told him to share it with ya lol

Thanks man, if I don't get him this year and he makes it to next year this is definitely not over i'm going to do everything I can next year to make it happen for next November.

You too! Hope one of your new spots bears some fruits for your labours!

I’d hold off . You can do better !

All joking aside if there is does there he will be close...give him a day or two and go get him...guessing these deer are not heavily pressured and the pocket they live in is probably not that big... next time just wait for no obstructions.. i have done some accidental logging myself shot that tree but good.

Hunt long enough, everyone misses at some point, for whatever reason, excitement, a hasty need to shoot, a bad rest, a flinch etc.
    And then there has been the bad shot placement that probably everyone has made also.
    Dont beat yourself up, just means you are human.
    Good luck and just remember to have fun out there.

He won't come back in to your rattling or calls but find the does, he'll be with em, or close by. Still hunt through the doe populations. I once spooked off a big buck with a doe, he took off on a dead run, but later that night when the doe came out to feed he couldn't help himself and was hot on her tail. Nailed him at 7 yards. In the same spot I spooked him 6 hours earlier.
    If you are not wet, cold, and have sore legs, you're not blacktail hunting.

Man I just rattled/grunted in another Buck!! That's two in 5 days, brought him in to 10 yards young 2 point let him walk. I will never enter the BT woods again during pre/rut/post without a set of rattling antlers. My favourite weather to hunt them now is still and quiet not raining, so much fun rattling them in!!!!