Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Training advice

Re: Training advice

It's all about dominance. No treats or e-collar or hitting needed.

If your dog isn't listening to you, he's not so sure that you're the boss. Reinforce that, teach them that. When you're the boss you are the most interesting thing out there.

From the start I get my dogs on their back, get on top, and just hold them there. Pin them. They will fuss and squirm and you just hold solid until they are done fussing. Then after they calm down we play, lots of praise. Eventually when you go to pin your dog they roll right over and don't fuss at all because they know the boss has got them.

I also control their feeding. At dinner the bowl doesn't just go down for them, they have to sit and wait, then it goes down and they have to wait some more, then I eventually allow them to eat, occasionally I take it away and go through the process again. He who controls and limits the food is the boss.

Anyway, that's worked pretty well for me with 3 dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by M1SF1T View Post
    It's all about dominance. No treats or e-collar or hitting needed.

If your dog isn't listening to you, he's not so sure that you're the boss. Reinforce that, teach them that. When you're the boss you are the most interesting thing out there.

From the start I get my dogs on their back, get on top, and just hold them there. Pin them. They will fuss and squirm and you just hold solid until they are done fussing. Then after they calm down we play, lots of praise. Eventually when you go to pin your dog they roll right over and don't fuss at all because they know the boss has got them.

I also control their feeding. At dinner the bowl doesn't just go down for them, they have to sit and wait, then it goes down and they have to wait some more, then I eventually allow them to eat, occasionally I take it away and go through the process again. He who controls and limits the food is the boss.

Anyway, that's worked pretty well for me with 3 dogs.
    I disagree. Some things are about dominance. Like being able to take a bone out his mouth at any time. If he’s aggressive, then it’s about dominance. Getting a dog to come is about reward and conditioning. My dog is a native dog with an incredible prey drive. Getting him to come is not about fear, it’s about getting him out of his headspace and rewarding him when he comes. I always have treats on hand. Conditioning is all powerful. I trained him to come with a shock collar and I rarely use the shock function now. Occasionally, I use vibrate to get him to come and then he gets a treat. If I want him to follow a scent or track that he hasn’t already seen or smelt, I just have to point and say go find this. The reward in this case is the track. He’ll come at full pace and then take off tracking. He listens because he loves that and because I never use it to just get him to come to me. If I did, he would figure out that I lie to him and wouldn’t trust me. I think relationships with smart dogs are built on trust and respect. Goes both ways, at least with the smart ones. Mine is a west Siberian Laika. Enough wild to be independent but enough social to be a great dog.
    Last edited by Treed; 03-16-2023 at 09:56 PM.
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    I disagree. Some things are about dominance. Like being able to take a bone out his mouth at any time. If he’s aggressive, then it’s about dominance. Getting a dog to come is about reward and conditioning. My dog is a native dog with an incredible prey drive. Getting him to come is not about fear, it’s about getting him out of his headspace and rewarding him when he comes. I always have treats on hand. Conditioning is all powerful. I trained him to come with a shock collar and I rarely use the shock function now. Occasionally, I use vibrate to get him to come and then he gets a treat. If I want him to follow a scent or track that he hasn’t already seen or smelt, I just have to point and say go find this. The reward in this case is the track. He’ll come at full pace and then take off tracking. He listens because he loves that and because I never use it to just get him to come to me. If I did, he would figure out that I lie to him and wouldn’t trust me. I think relationships with smart dogs are built on trust and respect. Goes both ways, at least with the smart ones. Mine is a west Siberian Laika. Enough wild to be independent but enough social to be a great dog.
    I think the e coller is the next step for sure. He has been getting better, but he does have a pretty strong prey drive. On the leash he has improved a lot, being able to heel past a group of whitetails as long as the deer don’t take off suddenly. But off leash, he his recall is not where I’d like it to be. If he isn’t focused on something he comes when called every time, but if there is something he finds interesting he ignores me about 50% of the time. He does follow eventually if I keep going, but on his terms.

any suggestions on a good affordable e collar? Some of the dogtra ones I’ve been recommended are around 3-400$.