Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Seeing many deer?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    2,801

    Seeing many deer?

    We've got about 10" of snow and the temperatures have been near -20 so I figured a guy would be seeing lots of deer but surprisingly very few. In my field I'd typically have any where from a dozen to 2 dozen but this morning in the moon light I only counted 4 white tail and 2 moose. In the fields that normally hold good numbers it appears to be the same.
    The elk seem to be about the same. I leave home about 430 and expect to have to chase the elk of the road but nothing. Not even any tracks. You guys seeing lots?

  2. Site Sponsor

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kamloops
    Posts
    2,342

    Re: Seeing many deer?

    Interior BC, the deer are everywhere after the snow.

    spotted 6 4pts before I harvested one, found groups of does that were 20+ in number.
    lots of Dink bucks as well

    prpbably about 18” of snow in the deep spots here with nights pushing -20 as well.

    white tail are another story, they are held up on the thick along the rivers and I haven’t seen them since the snow flied.
    Proud member of the Second Nations community.
    Keep the crown land in the taxpayers hands!

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,667

    Re: Seeing many deer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Norwestalta View Post
    We've got about 10" of snow and the temperatures have been near -20 so I figured a guy would be seeing lots of deer but surprisingly very few. In my field I'd typically have any where from a dozen to 2 dozen but this morning in the moon light I only counted 4 white tail and 2 moose. In the fields that normally hold good numbers it appears to be the same.
    The elk seem to be about the same. I leave home about 430 and expect to have to chase the elk of the road but nothing. Not even any tracks. You guys seeing lots?
    You are in Alberta, aren’t you??

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Seeing many deer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    You are in Alberta, aren’t you??
    Yes. My grading project is in bc and haven't seen many deer there either. No shortage of moose though.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,667

    Re: Seeing many deer?

    All good.
    my father in law has a cabin in the Assiniboine river about 45 minutes from white court.
    He is there now, so I will ask him when back.
    He has a few friends there with lots of ranch/farm acreage that usually have plenty of deer.
    Just haven’t asked him how the #’s have been over the past few years.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Seeing many deer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    All good.
    my father in law has a cabin in the Assiniboine river about 45 minutes from white court.
    He is there now, so I will ask him when back.
    He has a few friends there with lots of ranch/farm acreage that usually have plenty of deer.
    Just haven’t asked him how the #’s have been over the past few years.
    Just seems weird to me. I think I've only seen maybe 8 whitetails. There's a few mule deer around the dawson creek area but I haven't seen any in the bush. Tracks here and there is about it.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Top of the 395
    Posts
    1,420

    Re: Seeing many deer?

    Lots of whitetails near me, including the two out front of my house eating chestnuts right now, but none have walked in front of my loaded gun yet. I’m trying to change that however.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

    BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    The mighty peace
    Posts
    5,818

    Re: Seeing many deer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Norwestalta View Post
    We've got about 10" of snow and the temperatures have been near -20 so I figured a guy would be seeing lots of deer but surprisingly very few. In my field I'd typically have any where from a dozen to 2 dozen but this morning in the moon light I only counted 4 white tail and 2 moose. In the fields that normally hold good numbers it appears to be the same.
    The elk seem to be about the same. I leave home about 430 and expect to have to chase the elk of the road but nothing. Not even any tracks. You guys seeing lots?
    Maybe you got wolves or a cougar hitting them hard in behind your property?

    They sure F up my decent spots when they stay too long. The game adjusts. I am dealing with that this year and it sucks. Hoping for revenge any day now!
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

    If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

    You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

    Fire them ALL!

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Seeing many deer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Maybe you got wolves or a cougar hitting them hard in behind your property?

    They sure F up my decent spots when they stay too long. The game adjusts. I am dealing with that this year and it sucks. Hoping for revenge any day now!
    Could be. Looked to be a pack of 6 wolves went thru where I was grading yesterday. Haven't seen a wolf around the ponderosa in years and not much sign on the trapline. Never seen a cougar or sign of one either. One thing I did notice is more black bears this year locally then in the past.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Port Coquitlam
    Posts
    161

    Re: Seeing many deer?

    I saw two lone does yesterday still hunting for a whitetail.
    checked my cam after and captured a fork and horn buck actively chasing a doe but a mature buck cruised right over the same path with no interest. Seems they aren’t in full swing yet in that area sadly despite the large snowfall and cold temps.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •