Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is waterfowl hunting worth it in the lower mainland?

Is waterfowl hunting worth it in the lower mainland?

I want to get the Beretta A400 Extreme Plus, as you know it's over 2300 dollars as a waterfowl shotgun.

My question is:
    Will perusing migratory game birds in the lower mainland be a good time and money investment? I know about Ladner Marsh, Boundary Bay, And Pitt Marsh (I live close to this Marsh). But Everybody keeps talking about Vancouver Island. Though it seems we have a decent selection of hunting ground for these migratory birds here at home.

So, hunters, how is your experience hunting migratory game in the good ol lower mainland?

I honestly love the hunting of waterfowl, getting up early (I already do every day at 4am) and just going out on weekends and grinding for that opportunity to point and shoot. Anyway, I have a DIY watercraft and all the Camo/basic gear now I just need a shotgun, decoys and calls.

Also, with this shotgun I want, it also for some skeet shooting and definitely going to hunt upland game spices with it too. It will be my all-around TOOL. But would love to know that migratory game bird hunting opportunities exist near me.

So, tell me, is waterfowl existent in the lower mainland?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Is waterfowl hunting worth it in the lower mainland?

It sure is.

Big time. Knock on some doors of farms.

Great shoots in the LM
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

It sure is.

Big time. Knock on some doors of farms.

Great shoots in the LM
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Yes. Shooting at ducks and geese is exhilarating. Plus the hunts are convenient it’s not like you’re away all day or week. Lots of opportunity.

you don’t need a $2500 Italian shotgun to kill birds and have a good time

find a friend who waterfowl hunts and tag along. If you get the bug you can invest in decoys and a good gun.

bandit is offline Passionate pointer parent

Buy a used semi for 1000$ and spend the rest on a dog. Best hunting buddy you will ever have.

$2300 for a shotgun that is going to get beat on in the salt marshes is a bit unnecessary, but it’s your money. There are great spots to hunt waterfowl in the LML. Personally, I would get a Mossberg Waterfowl Pro for the marsh ($1,000) and a nice 20 gauge O/U for upland. 1w gauge is literally overkill for the vast majority of upland birds.

But back to your original question, no, you won’t regret hunting birds at the coast.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I can't think of another major city on earth with a population of 2.6 million people where in 45 minutes from city centre you can be in waterfowling heaven. I use a $275 2nd-hand Remington 870 and eat all the ducks and geese i want all year round from the hunting season.

Where you live is about a 15-20 minute drive to awsome hunting on public land. Get some permisson on farmland and you could be there in ten minutes.
    Last edited by MichelD; 11-03-2022 at 10:15 PM.

See above.

They are everywhere down here right now!
    Dint think they taste that great compared to the prairie provinces.
    But can be fun as hell.
    Every evening this week they took off and flew right over the same spot 5 days straight.
    Too bad we can’t hunt them down here in the bay.
    So busy in fact the geese and the ducks are crowded into the same v formation together at times right now.

Come over to the Waterfowling section and read some of the posts. You can totally get birds in the LML. You just need to try a bit harder to get away from the skybusters. It's the only hunting I do. I love getting up before the wife, beating on some ducks or geese and then come home for a nice nap in the afternoon. Sometimes I wake up from the nap, clean the birds, and cook one the same night, head back to bed to do the same thing the next day.