Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rattling for muley bucks?

Re: Rattling for muley bucks?

My attempts to rattle mule deer appeared to be fruitless. There are four antlers attached to a leather shoe lace so they hang.
    Whether they produce a different sound or create greater volume I don't know.
    While trying to get two bucks to show themselves better while they were sparring did get a view to show they were not legal.
    Picked up my gear and slung the lace over my shoulder so the antlers produced a tinkling sound.
    Walked within 25 yards of the two bucks and they continued to spar and produced a similar sound as my antlers.
    Looked back from 100 yards and they continued to test each other.
    Having shot only one white tail, I don't know if mule deer antlers would attract whitetails.

Nov. 4-pt only and fresh snow, it doesn't get any better

Maybe its the timing, but twice I had nearby MD bucks totally ignore rattling, but then grunting had their attention
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

The first time I ever tried rattling I brought in both a mule deer and a coarse buck. I was in the mountains and it was very foggy. The fog momentarily cleared and I spotted a shooter 4x muley on a ridge adjacent to the one I was one. The fog came back in ruining a chance at a stalk. I set up and rattled a few times. 15-20 minutes later I got bored and stood up to go after him. I then spotted the coarse buck. He had come in to the left of me and held up in the timber. When I made eye contact he bolted. I shouldered my pack thinking this rattling thing might just be a great thing to utilize when I spotted the muley I was targeting. He had circled and came in behind me! Once again as soon as eye contact was made he bolted! Be patient and aware from all directions, particularly down wind. This was during the middle of the rut. My best luck ratting has been during october when the bucks are sparring to work out their pecking order prior to the rut. I rattled this october every time I was out with no luck, so far!

And to add to that, using scents downwind may just help? I always try to use the two together. This all said, my luck rattling hasnt been spectacular. I feel if the bucks are there, good chance they will respond.

Haven't had a lot of success rattling in mulies, but will continue to try. Have had some success bringing them in by raking trees and also with can calls (i.e. doe in heat).

hmmm the ONLY rattling success..2x has been in ALBERTA late season..COLD...

HEARTBREAKER A sitting in a chair ground blind...last 30 minutes grunting..rattling...crunch crunch....here comes deer..I only had a whitetail tag....so here comes THE SINGULAR largest mulie I have ever seen..easily over 190..I was so upset Icould have puked !
    however they still walk amongst us..that was nice to see.
    Srupp

post edit..Andy Miller hosted us on his Grampas ranch..

RIP Andy
    Last edited by srupp; 11-04-2022 at 03:37 PM.

Well it does work, rattled in a 5x5 today,,, now I knew he was in the area, had him on camera but after two 30 second rattles I look up and he is standing there, so yep give it a go.

XPEIER

Have called in rattling muleys\blacktails\whitetails \moose and elk buy raking..

Called in my biggest Mulie to date by rattling, it works
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Good to hear you guys, I think I'll try it...the rut activity should pick up now with the cold weather, going to be fun, hopefully my hunting won't be limited the rest of the season, good luck to you all..

FYI from the tracks I've observed while hunting moose (and wolves lol) at higher elevation, it appears the deer are starting to move down, so things should really be heating up..