Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: deer fat - how much to trim

Re: deer fat - how much to trim

So now I know the fat tastes great, let's go all in. I made a homemade ramen broth and used ALL of the rendered fat from the roulades in it.

you can see here all of that fat floating on top:

I added morels, you know, smoke 'em if you got 'em.

and the final result

so there was probably about half a cup of that rendered fat added in to the pure venison stock. what did it taste like? well this soup entered the "coat your mouth" kind of territory for sure. but it worked so well, it coated your mouth with great taste and the broth. it made the soup have a rich silky quality. quite the surprise. no off flavours, no waxy textures, and the coating your mouth quality of the stearic acid clearly added to the experience.

this was a healthy whitetail doe eating off oat and hay fields, keep that in mind. conclusions so far? eat the deer fat.

even the fatty belly strips of meat taste great as is.

Now everything i put into the freezer i did trim to lean, as I know the fat will sour over time.

but i have one more experiment to do this week, and that is cookies

Quote Originally Posted by 35rem View Post
    I rendered a bunch of fat of a whitetail last year and a member here gave me his Grandma's recipe for baking cookies with it. Substitute butter with 3/4 deer fat/1/4 water. I tried it, made gingerbread cookies and can confirm they were delicious.
    I will be rendering the fat trimmings I've saved into lard, then try making some cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Livewire322 View Post
    Add another one for the ‘trim app of it off’ camp.

If you don’t want it going to waste, you can render the fat out and make something from it - soap, candles, waterproofing… that’d be pretty ‘extra’ though (having done it myself, I can confirm it’s time consuming)
    This is what I would look into doing with the fat...as mentioned previously, deer fat is gross and sticks to the roof of your mouth..

Quote Originally Posted by upperleftcoaster View Post
    ok so i have some updates from the past week of experimenting with the whitetail deer fat and cooking.

my overall goal was to try the fat in different ways and see how it would taste.

to start I made some roulades with belly trim from the saddle section. they were a bit small. only seasoned with salt. After browning I slow cooked them covered at 300 degrees for a couple hours. I saved the broth and rendered fat from the pan as well. then you wrap them and cool them to get the shape set and keep some of the fat in.

To cook the roulade, i sliced pin wheels and then seared them in the cast iron pan. You can clearly see there is fat still on the pin wheels even though a ton had rendered out.

the results of this? a delicious, rich taste. the fat tasted great on its own, like a nice gristle on a fatty steak, though obviously in the venison flavour realm. there was no "coating of the mouth" or waxy texture to be had. It is even mother-in-law approved, no complaints from four people. I have done the same recipe with lamb, and this one is a clear winner.
    Wow that's awesome, good to know thanks..

Nice follow up thnaks
    The feed must be the difference
    Curious though if the hay field had alfalfa , heard that is a flavour killer in wt deer
    Last edited by high horse Hal; 11-09-2022 at 06:49 PM.
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by upperleftcoaster View Post
    So now I know the fat tastes great, let's go all in. I made a homemade ramen broth and used ALL of the rendered fat from the roulades in it.

you can see here all of that fat floating on top:

I added morels, you know, smoke 'em if you got 'em.

and the final result

so there was probably about half a cup of that rendered fat added in to the pure venison stock. what did it taste like? well this soup entered the "coat your mouth" kind of territory for sure. but it worked so well, it coated your mouth with great taste and the broth. it made the soup have a rich silky quality. quite the surprise. no off flavours, no waxy textures, and the coating your mouth quality of the stearic acid clearly added to the experience.
    If it tastes as good as it looks should be great..