Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video: Boundary Bay Oct 29/22

Video: Boundary Bay Oct 29/22

Had a great day off 64th street on Saturday. Only two groups of hunters out there so no skybusters messing things up, just cordial competition. Although we didn't get any limits, we all came home with pintails, mallards with a brisk wind and rising tide to give us action that lasted all morning. I'll let the video speak for itself. It was fun to edit as well as arrange. I tried to include a balance of misses as well as shots I could be proud of. Because it is wide angle footage you'll probably want to view it full screen from YoutTube to see the birds.

Last edited by silveragent; 10-31-2022 at 05:39 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Video: Boundary Bay Oct 29/22

Thanks for sharing your video. Is that one of those gear sleds you are sitting in? and if so how is pulling it out to the shore edge?

Looks like you had a good time out there. Way to go!
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

dru88, it's a jet sled. My back doesn't take loads well these days so I prefer to drag any dekes and other equipment in the sled. The hardest part is getting it into the grass because there are lots of logs lining the dyke. After that, it's just a lot of pulling which in itself is a work out but better than putting it on my back. Of course when the water is up and there are puddles in the foreshore having it float is a dream.

Good shooting,thanks for sharing

Here is a true 360 video of one of the shoots. Took a super long time to render and to upload. Take your mouse and drag it around to pan the view as it plays. Make sure you set it to max resolution or it will look like mud.

Last edited by silveragent; 11-01-2022 at 07:30 AM.

Great videos, thanks for sharing.

Nice footage. Looks like it was a fun day.

How are you liking the Maxus 2 so far? I’m in the market and interested in hearing from people that hunt in our local conditions…
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

I've only been shooting the Maxus 2 for about a month.

Pros:

1. Nice to point
    2. A pretty gucci gun. It has nice rubberized surfaces for the cheek on the stock and on the foregrip. And the surface coating looks like it will help its longevity especially as I do not baby my hunting guns. I will put them down on the mud and use them to stand up on.
    3. It has two interesting features that I admittedly have not yet used in the field.

Magazine cut off which allows you with a flip of a lever to stop the shells you have loaded in your mag to chamber when you rack out the one that is chambered. This enables you to rack out a duck load for example and throw in a goose load without having to rack out all three duck shells, saving you time if you spot geese coming in (or vice versa).

It also has the ability to speed load if you run dry. Instead of putting a shell into the ejection port and then hitting the charging button, you can load one into the loading port as usual and it will be automatically sucked up into the chamber and chambered. I have only seen that work sporadically.

4. I gained two inches over my old SX4. 28" over 26" barrel.

Cons:

1. It kicks hard for a gas gun. It's noticeable. But I suppose I've gotten used to it as I'm pretty sure I am shooting it as well as my old SX4.
    2. The elevator rusts just as quickly as my SX4 lol. Just like the Winchester, if you don't wipe it down after a day in the salt marsh, that bright metal will start speckling brown. So clean the gun as soon as you get home!
    3. Shoots lower than I am used to. I was debating adjusting the comb to shoulder it more instinctively (it comes with shims and spacers) but then again I shot pretty well this week so maybe I will just leave it.

Is it that much better than my SX4 ($1200 gun vs a $2400ish gun)? I shot pretty well with my SX4 but I think it remains to be seen if the Maxus 2's build quality makes it last. After three years of hard hunting I put the SX4 through a lot and it's been in the shop for an extended period. But I'm pretty sure I would have been happy sticking with the SX4 until it fell apart. I just had the opportunity and money to step up to the next level and who doesn't like a new gun?
    Last edited by silveragent; 11-01-2022 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks for the write up!
    I’m surprised that it kicks hard, but that’s valuable to me as I’m looking to get away from my BPS stalker, which kicks like a mule and after 15 years of hard use, could use some love and light duty (nice weather puddle hunting and upland vs. salt-marsh stomping in a deluge… The kicking hard could have more to do with gun figment than anything else though, so I’ll have to go check one out I suppose!
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."