Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite way to transport rifle on ATV

Re: Favourite way to transport rifle on ATV

Everyone where I hunt ended up using boxes.This tells you something. I use a box and the rifle is kitty corner. My 24" barreled magnum fits. Others have had the barrel shortened. Another clever answer was to criss cross bungees so the full length box would bounce sideways when that tree jumped out. My lid is hinged on the front like everyone else's. My box covers the front rack. The rifle section is like a hard shell rifle case so I get a fair bit of storage in the rest of the box. What ever you do, don't mount the rifle so you can not bail easily.

Kolpin Stronghold boot.
    Last edited by bcsteve; 10-31-2022 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    Everyone where I hunt ended up using boxes.This tells you something. I use a box and the rifle is kitty corner. My 24" barreled magnum fits. Others have had the barrel shortened. Another clever answer was to criss cross bungees so the full length box would bounce sideways when that tree jumped out. My lid is hinged on the front like everyone else's. My box covers the front rack. The rifle section is like a hard shell rifle case so I get a fair bit of storage in the rest of the box. What ever you do, don't mount the rifle so you can not bail easily.
    What kind of box let you put in a full length rifle? Got a photo?

Bcsreve you ask the impossible of an old phart. I hunt for keys when I type ! My quad is an '08 Can-Am. The box is U-shapped around the center to get the length. And the front corners are rounded for added length and tree bounce off. I'm right handed so the butt is at my right. I had to lay the rifle on it's right hand side to get the curve. It would have been handier on it's left. The box is about 6" deep. It's built like a boat with plywood core covered by fiberglass/ epoxy.

I had mounted my rifle like yours , but I was too slow a couple of times. Moose and potatoes without the moose.

The rifle is kitty corner, but I can't take credit, it was Dan's idea. After three designs I got it right.
    Last edited by Downwindtracker2; 10-31-2022 at 03:12 PM.

While I haven't used the quad for hunting for a few years, We used Y mounts when we did. But I am older and not in a hurry so that helped.
    As far as a helmet, be prepared to miss opportunities as can be difficult to see through your scope with the helmet still on.

I do one of two things. For longer trips when I’m heading into my camping/hunting spot I try and tie my rifle on my front rack on top of coolers or whatever else is there, or throw it in the tub trailer.

Second. On a sling, over my shoulder across the front. It’s pretty comfy and you can articulate the end of the barrel a bit when you’re going through thicker stuff. I don’t typically road hunt though. I usually use my quad to get where I’m going and get off.

Rifle is slung across my back. Shotgun I just stick between my leg and quad. Helmet, if I do wear it I use a skateboard helmet.
    BCWF
    CCFR
    CSSA

Public hanging need to be brought back, starting with the biggest criminals in this country, the politicians.

I use an older kolpin boot mounted similar to the BcSteve photo. But it's mounted more forward on the rear fender/rack so the end of the barrel rests at the foot rest. The end cap of the gunboot is kept off so that the buttstock is sticking out and accessible but the scope is protected from dust and mud.

All good excellent comments and perspective that I can align with. Yes being able to quickly access is key, I’ll likely primarily use a sling and maybe grab some Y mounts for those more commute type rides. I do have a neoprene scope cover which will be sufficient protection along with tape on the muzzle (it’s cerekoted and synthetic for a reason right!). Thanks for the intel on helmets as well. Will grab a snap next weekend when I’m out with my boy.

Sling across back, rifle in front bbl angled upward. Keeps it protected and can control bbl through brush. Quick to access.