Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite way to transport rifle on ATV

Favourite way to transport rifle on ATV

I haven’t quad hunted for about 15 years though just inherited one so may give it a go for Nov moose. I’m well aware of the benefits of a speedy shoulder, though also conscious of mud and twigs flying everywhere and trying to keep my rifle reasonably clean. Growing up in SK a rifle always had to be encased, through not the case here… what’s the preferred methods? Sling, Y style holder, kolpin gun boot? Don’t want to make the bike any wider… also, helmets required at all times or only on forestry roads? I typically wear one, just want to be informed on actual rules. Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Favourite way to transport rifle on ATV

Sling across my chest, rifle on my back. Shotgun for grouse in the gun boot. If you're being hit with mud and twigs, you're driving too fast. Helmets? No comment.
    Member of the CCFR, but not a "Violent Extremist"

I’ve always use the Y holders on the front rack we have a box on the front of our quad so the rifles clean 90% of the time, when it rains it gets wet, I should mention even when strapped in it does rattle the gun quite a bit so we put additional rags held by elastic bands inside the Y for an added layer. Helmets we bring with us but typically never wear them although we probably should on main roads just for safety. Most of the hunters I’ve seen on quads don’t seem to wear them so i don’t either. A while back we were stopped by A CO and he didn’t seem to care about us not having helmets. I do not 100% know the law about them so don’t take my word for not having to wear them, in my experiences I’ve gotten by just fine without one.

Piper and I heading out. Since the longest rifle I own is 39” I had to make myself one.
    Made a wood mould, first lair soft cotton canvas, contact cement on synthetic cork floor under lay, next 4 oz fibreglass then sun deck material.

Last edited by MRP; 10-31-2022 at 05:51 AM.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Shortened a Kolpin 'Gun Boot' and made a different mounting system. Re-padded the whole thing.
    The Kolpin 'Gun Boot' as is, is just a poorly designed chunk of Tupperware. Mine is mounted facing forward
    and pointing slightly down on the right side if the front ATV rack. Travel with or without the shortened cap on.
    The cap has a loop handle for fast removal.

I started with a Kolpin Gun Boot mounted on the rear rack next to my hip. It's too long for most hunting rifles. I switched to Y brackets on the front and a soft case on top of the cargo box on the rear rack. The soft case keeps my rifle clean. I use a safari sling and sometimes ride with the rifle on my lap.

I rarely see a hunter with a helmet.

I don't hunt with my quad often but when I do (mostly spring bear hunting), I just use a couple koplin T mounts on the front of my Kodiak. I place them as far back on the front rack as I can so they don't affect my steering but keeps most my front rack still useable. I don't case the rifle but keep the muzzle taped and the scope covered with a neporene sock, never had an issue. I do however check the mounts security and condition every time I use it.

X2 On the Safari Sling, rifle rests on my lap.Grouse gun 10/22 sits behind a box on the front, gloves provide cushion and readily available.
    MM

I use a motorbike on occasion, don't have a quad. I sling it over my head/shoulder in a Beretta gun bag. Several years ago on an Island Elk LEH I rode a buddy's quad which had a handlebar mount. Rubberised V-slots with rubber straps holding it in place. I also used his cover which only protected the top of the gun, with the walnut stock resting bare in the mounts. Well we ended up riding in some rough conditions which shook the $hit out of the handlebars. When I got home I found wear marks on my previously pristine walnut stock. Mildly upset about that, but my bigger concern was the effect that jarring had on my scope with regard to accuracy. I recall having to re adjust zero on the range again on that firearm.

If not mistaken, legally you are transporting a firearm regardless of vehicle type so the federal law regarding transport applies. Unloaded with trigger guard and/or bolt removed. My Honda is street legal, I'm accustomed to wearing a helmet so I always do. Buddies on the quads don't.

Last edited by mike31154; 10-31-2022 at 12:21 PM.

Arrow Re: Favourite way to transport rifle on ATV

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    ... If not mistaken, legally you are transporting a firearm regardless of vehicle type so the federal law regarding transport applies. Unloaded with trigger guard and/or bolt removed.
    When transporting in any vehicle, you do NOT require a trigger lock, nor the bolt removed.
    Just cannot be "loaded", ie: having a full magazine in under an empty bolt

Cheer,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me