Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Road Kill Rules

Re: Road Kill Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    I’m sure the coyotes thanked you…
    I hear them howling their appreciation to this day. GD

On my way to a moose LEH a couple weeks ago I was 2 & 1/2 hours into the road trip noting how many bloody spots were on the hwy. I was on a relatively straight stretch on the right in a passing lane with great visibility either side, high noon. To this day I don't know how I didn't see it coming but a deer came flying across the road & smacked the bottom of the door on my access cab Tacoma. Caught it at the last moment prior to impact out of the corner of my eye. Looking in the rearview I watched it spin on the pavement behind me, no blood that I could see, so more of a glancing blow, I suspect a broken neck. Left a pretty good dent in the bottom of the door though. Found a place to pull over & check the damage but by this time the scene was beyond my field of view. Young doe, would have been fine eating if allowed to pick up.
    Last edited by mike31154; 10-31-2022 at 11:49 AM.

So I posted this thread yesterday,,this morning I smoke a big doe with my newly painted truck,,,FFS...Im JINXED

Road Kill

If you come across dead wildlife or a part of any wildlife and you wish to acquire it from the government, you must immediately contact the nearest regional Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations office to set up an appointment to have a Certification of Wildlife Specimen form [PDF 178KB] completed by a qualified ministry employee (e.g. wildlife biologist, wildlife technician).
    The Certification of Wildlife Specimen form must be forwarded to FrontCounter BC along with a General Permit Application [PDF 35KB] and the applicable permit fees. Please refer to the Certification of Species Identification form for fees.
    Follow the submission instructions on the FrontCounter BC website.
    Please note that section 6 of the Wildlife Act Permit Regulation forbids a regional manager from transferring a right of property in eagles, endangered species, or threatened species and in a variety of described circumstances. In addition, section 6 of the Wildlife Act Permit Regulation forbids a regional manager from transferring a right of property in wildlife that has an auction value of over $200 (please refer to the Certification of Wildlife Specimen form for more details).
    Under section 33(2) of the Wildlife Act [RSBC 1996] Chapter 488 it states:
    “A person commits an offence if the person has dead wildlife or a part of any wildlife in his or her possession except as authorized under a licence or permit or as provided by regulation.”
    Translation of government speak: F off and leave it there.
    Last edited by geologist; 11-01-2022 at 11:17 AM.

I asked my local senior CO about this last year. He said that if you have a tag and it is the hunting season, a road kill buck is OK to be taken.

A CO told me that they don't hand issue permits to keep road kill unless you are a trapper because then people would start hunting with their cars. I thought it a stupid response - the damage to your vehicle hitting a deer or moose is likely to cost more to fix than the value of any meat salvaged. Both Alberta and Washington state issue permits for road killed animals, it is time for BC to get with the program.

^^^^ I wondered if that could have been a reason why possessing roadkill was illegal…..$200 deductible is pretty cheap and your insurance rates don’t go up with a comprehensive claim.

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    ^^^^ I wondered if that could have been a reason why possessing roadkill was illegal…..$200 deductible is pretty cheap and your insurance rates don’t go up with a comprehensive claim.
    Hmmm. I figure with all the gear bought, and time taken off work, I’m coming in at around $200.00 per pound, so my deductible would be a 40x return on investment!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    Who would want roadkill? Sorry just had to ask what someone would want it for, usually have high damage to it?
    I picked up a fox one time which had a nice coat. Took it directly to the CO's office. They have to report it and if some official source wants it, you loose. If not, it's yours in 30 days. It was a long time ago but I'm pretty sure that's how it worked.

I think certain Roads contractors also pick up road killed moose and deer, and if recently killed, have food banks that become recipients.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

In Washington state it is legal. Roadkill salvage permit | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife. You can pick up the animal and if you get a free printable permit within 24 hours you are good!