Thread: Anyone hunt Snipe?

Anyone hunt Snipe?

I live in Barriere and hunt in 3-38 and pretty close to town. I’ve never targeted snipe before and wanted to know if anyone here has hunted them. Am I looking for swampy areas? Hunting them from a canoe close to shore? I’d love to get out and try and find some but am hoping for some pointers from anyone has successfully harvested some. Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Anyone hunt Snipe?

Soft, damp ground with not much tall cover.
    Think sticking your bill in for worms and grubs with enough cover to not be seen, but not so much as to be ambushed.
    Fun birds.
    Small and tasty.
    I find them in the Merritt area where I live quite frequently.
    Around small ponds and rivers. Areas where cattle have cropped the grass down or mowed hay fields can be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chris View Post
    I live in Barriere and hunt in 3-38 and pretty close to town. I’ve never targeted snipe before and wanted to know if anyone here has hunted them. Am I looking for swampy areas? Hunting them from a canoe close to shore? I’d love to get out and try and find some but am hoping for some pointers from anyone has successfully harvested some. Thanks
    Last edited by phearless; 01-02-2023 at 02:40 PM. Reason: additional info
    Tight Lines

I would be suprised to find many snipe in 3:38 not sure i have ever seen any in 3:38 try north thompson oxbows??

We used to find them in wet / flooded cow pastures as well. Something that has short vegetation, more mud than water. You may want to practice on some swallows (joking) as they fly at about the same rate. They are also a real pain to find once you do drop one.

XPEIER