Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First 20 gauge limit of ducks in the Momarsh Fatboy DP.

First 20 gauge limit of ducks in the Momarsh Fatboy DP.

I changed up the choke on the 20 gauge this time out to a Carlson Cremator Medium Range and was using Kent #4 Fast Steel 1550fps out of it. Last time out I was using the factory Improved Cylinder and Score Steel #2 1550 fps. I kept my decoys tight and shots within 25 yards or so and it did fine on Teal and Widgeon. The mallard I think #3 or #2 would have been a better choice, but you work with what you have in the gun at the time. No lost birds so far, concentration on building the dog's confidence and picking the shots accordingly. This was only the second time she's hunted over water and seeing decoys. She's still struggling to pick out the duck within the decoys even when the duck is on its back doing the back paddle .

Got out of the boat, stretch out our legs, and had a bite to eat. I did a walk around picking up any spent casings I could see and touched up the grass a bit before hunkering down again waiting on more birds to arrive. You can see Skadi in the back in her position, when she lays down you can barely see her head tucked under the cover. It still amazes me how well hidden you are in this layout boat. I have hawks, ravens, king fishers, seagulls, as well as waterfowl flying mere feet above the boat.

Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First 20 gauge limit of ducks in the Momarsh Fatboy DP.

running natural veg on your boat or artificial?

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    running natural veg on your boat or artificial?
    I usually run artificial as a base and some local veg to blend in but haven’t gotten around to picking up artificial since I got the new covering.

BCWF

Sounds like you have a great setup, well done.. lol looks like Skadi wants you to shoot more...

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Sounds like you have a great setup, well done.. lol looks like Skadi wants you to shoot more...
    Skadi used to hate the truck until she realized it meant we were going out to do something fun! I can’t go to the truck and open a door without her trying to get in now lol. We’ve been out twice in the last week and she’s really enjoying it, and patiently waits in the boat until it’s time to retrieve.

BCWF

Great to see.
    Sounds like a Blast.
    Nothing better than spending the day with your bird dog shooting ducks.
    That puts a smile on a outdoors man's Facebook
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Skadi used to hate the truck until she realized it meant we were going out to do something fun! I can’t go to the truck and open a door without her trying to get in now lol. We’ve been out twice in the last week and she’s really enjoying it, and patiently waits in the boat until it’s time to retrieve.
    Lol that's awesome....

Nice set up you have there, I sure do miss my Abigail She was a Chesapeake I never had to tell her anything she always new what to do she passed at the age of 11worked hard to the very end, Bless her heart. Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by webley View Post
    Nice set up you have there, I sure do miss my Abigail She was a Chesapeake I never had to tell her anything she always new what to do she passed at the age of 11worked hard to the very end, Bless her heart. Steve!
    Steve,

They are amazing dogs. Her present lack of ability is 100% my fault for not putting in more time in training her during the pandemic. She is smart and learns fast just needs more time in the blind to understand what’s being asked of her. I had another Chessie before her called Marshall, he hunted hard for ten Seasons. He developed a geriatric condition at the age of 12 1/2 and had to be put down unfortunately.

Skadi turned 2 in July, She is super excited to get out there and retrieve I’m hoping to have her up to speed in the coming months on ducks.

BCWF

My Girlfriend didn’t believe me when I told her I’d be out from sunup to sundown or lucky enough to limited out what ever came first. She doesn’t get that even if there are no birds flying that the smells and sounds of the marsh and being with your loyal companion is enough to keep you happy to be there.

BCWF