Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rattling tips for Whities

Rattling tips for Whities

Hey guys,

Me and the old man are up trying to down some Whities, brought a set of sheds for rattling, first time ever rattling for WT's and from what I understand now is prime.

Found a spot where a Buck is living ran into him last night and bumped him this morning when I got up from my sit, very thick timber any tips for rattling?

Also has anyone brought in a Doe rattling, or doesn't happen?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rattling tips for Whities

I would say you are at least 2 weeks from prime time. But it still may work now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

I seem to have better success rattling mid November, but I would certainly consider doing it now. If you're in thick timber, try to be in a spot where you have several shooting lanes. You'll be able to see more and it will give you more time to shoot. Always, and I repeat always, have your rifle at hand. It you're sitting then you should have your rifle on your lap or even better in your hands in between rattling sequences. Sometimes they come in hard and fast and you don't have much time. Learnt this lesson last year. I have only had bucks come into my rattling, but I don't see why a curious doe wouldn't come in to check things out.

I was rattling a couple years ago and brought in a muley doe.

I have most of my success bringing bucks in by rattling from mid November into the first week of December, but it's still worth while now, I just don't invest as much time at it yet. I brought in a white-tail doe a couple days ago, and have rattled in many in the past as well, and they seem to respond a little earlier in the year than bucks. Rattling works for mulies too, but not as consistently as white-tails. How you rattle is important though, so watch a video of bucks scrapping and try to imitate those sounds and rhythm. Think more grinding of the antlers, and less smashing and tickling of the tines.

You guys pound the ground some and break branches etc..? Or too aggressive too early for that type of rattling?

^^^^^ Remembrance Day onwards is rattling season. Bucks are running scrape lines right now figuring out who’s who for the next couple weeks. If I was hunting white tail bucks right now I’d get in a tree stand above a scrape line. I shot my doe on Sunday , I’m just waiting for the rut to kick in to up my chances at shooting a big buck.

I like an area like over a swamp or the edge of a meadow where sound will carry, and way better if there are tracks or scrapes around. Sneak in and sit for 10 min. Start with a fairly quiet, short rattle sequence. Like 10 seconds. Lots of grinding and sliding the antlers together. Sit and listen. You will hear them grunt before you see them sometimes. Wait 20 seconds and repeat. I've had bucks sneak in and also come running hard and barking!! Use a grunt tube between rattle sequences.

Increase the volume over 15-20 minutes. Have confidence that a buck is nearby or will be. Keep in mind the buck you will shoot may not be in earshot yet. Mid November when the bucks are really moving around, I have rattled for 45 minutes before a buck showed. As they cruise the bush and walk up and down hills and into different areas looking for does, they will come into range and hear you. Two years ago, on Dec 10, I was just about to pack it in and went nuts smashing the rattles together and a buck came in and died so giver. Rattling in WT is the most fun I have hunting.

Here's a rattling story for ya

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ed-in-a-whitey!

Rattle small and you will attract all

Rattle big and see none at all

less is best imo
    small bucks hear small rattle and think they got a shot at the title
    small bucks hear big fight and holy shiiiite, not messing with him he's 400lb Buck

big bucks may respond to rattles or not, but expect not as one of those reasons they got so big
    regardless i often bring my small basket set to cover my sound when moving to stand (drag off willows/small trees while walking to absorb foot fall noise)
    good luck
    Links
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Some good suggestions in the above posts! Watch out for those "sneakers".