Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a dog box for hounds

Thumbs up Looking for a dog box for hounds

Looking for a dog box for my hound. I have a 8 ft box looking for a wood one with holes for there heads to pop out . Or something that WILL not break the bank... Or ideas
    Shhhhitttt I got this hold my beer

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Looking for a dog box for hounds

I had an Owens do it yourself kit.
    Worked great, I painted it with the paint you’d use in a bathroom or exterior doors.
    Threw a bit of sand on top for traction, and had a rigging made by barracuda from HBC, for my strike dog.
    Wasn’t a bank breaker price. This was 10yrs ago tho. Things may have gone up
    In price

Quote Originally Posted by digger dogger View Post
    I had an Owens do it yourself kit.
    Worked great, I painted it with the paint you’d use in a bathroom or exterior doors.
    Threw a bit of sand on top for traction, and had a rigging made by barracuda from HBC, for my strike dog.
    Wasn’t a bank breaker price. This was 10yrs ago tho. Things may have gone up
    In price
    yeah was thinking of building one outta plywood and 2x4 but dono not a carpenter thats forsure lol

Who has built one outta plywood and if building for a 8 ft box what measurements should I run was thinking 4x5 and 4 ft tall ? anyone lol

Just googled dog boxes and found these to give you ideas on dimensions and design -

https://treedogkustoms.com/p-10-our-products.html

https://www.facebook.com/aldergrovedogboxes/
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    GHRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
    MHR HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc MH
    WR SR-UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
    SHR Dakota Creek’s Mirror Image JH

how many dogs you putting in it.
    you definitely dont need it 4 feet high

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Creek View Post
    Just googled dog boxes and found these to give you ideas on dimensions and design -

https://treedogkustoms.com/p-10-our-products.html

https://www.facebook.com/aldergrovedogboxes/
    Thanks for those links... yes LBM I know I dont need 4 ft was just a number I had in my head

Depends on number of dogs and time of year summer make sure there is enough air circulation, have heard some
    horror stories of dogs overheating and dieing. Winter still need ventilation but aslo smaller box can keep them warmer.
    If only a couple dogs let them ride in the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Depends on number of dogs and time of year summer make sure there is enough air circulation, have heard some
    horror stories of dogs overheating and dieing. Winter still need ventilation but aslo smaller box can keep them warmer.
    If only a couple dogs let them ride in the truck.
    Yes very true I have heard of those horror story as well . My hounds men mentor had a box with three holes on each side and lots one inch holes around the whole thing. But your right if only a few dogs they can ride in the truck. But come to sleeping at night a box would be nice especially if we're all gonna sleep in the truck lol talk about a dog sandwich lmafo

Do not make it 4 foot tall, it only needs to be a bit taller than your dogs so they can stand up straight. I have a 4 foot by 4 foot box that is roughly 26-28 inches tall, cant say for sure as I am not near the box. It has 3-4 holes on each side, the two sides are divided which comes in handy when you need to keeps dogs separate. I have hole covers that I can slide over the hole to keep them warmer in there if need be. As others have said make sure you box is NOT air tight and can breath. The only time I have heard of dogs dying in boxes is aluminum boxes with little to no ventilation. I can get you some pics of mine later on and email them if you would like.
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.