Thread: Choke size

Choke size

Hey all, hoping someone can shed some light on choke tubes for me. From what I understand, now that we shoot steel, it will pattern more tightly then lead. So an Improved Cylinder choke will pattern like a modified choke, modified like a full, etc. So when people say they shoot a Modified Choke, are they physically using a Modified Choke but actually getting a full pattern or physically using an IC and shooting a Mod?
    I do a lot of pass shooting and a mod seems like the recommendation, just don't if that means physically using an IC or Mod
    Any help would be great.
    Happy shooting

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Choke size

I just started with shotgun this year, and yet I have likely heard the "Pattern your load at the distance you'll shoot." a few hundred times.

Pattern your load with multiple chokes to determine your effective distance.

It helps to think in terms of patterns. I.E. generally, you want a modified pattern for pass shooting (lead: IC, steel: mod).
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

I've been using a modified with great success with steel for decades. That being said I'm usually hunting over decoys and not really pass shooting. Most shots are under 40 yards but I have tagged birds out to 60-70 yards. Like it was mentioned take the shells you plan on using and set up a couple of targets at 15, 30, and 50 yards and see what your pattern is doing for a given choke and you will have a better idea what to use. Just be carefull if youre using BB or bigger in a full choke. A lot of gun / choke manufacturers tell you not to shoot it through a full choke.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Choke designation from the tightest to the most open are:
    Extra Full, Full, Improved Modified, Modified, Skeet II, Improved Cylinder, Skeet I, and Cylinder Bore.

Steel shot does not require the constriction that lead shot needs, to produce good patterns. In fact too much constriction, causes poor, erratic patterns, and in some cases, permanently damages the barrel. I have seen barrels bulged at the choke, I have seen barrels where the choke split right open, from using steel shot.

For steel shot, with thin barrels, chokes should be altered to at least Skeet II. Often, over & under, and side-by-side shotguns, are best altered to Skeet I and Skeet II chokes. Heavier barrels can be left at Modified choke but may see an improvement in the pattern if opened slightly.
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

Thanks for the into folks, trying to wade through the online opinions can be daunting. Most of my shooting is between 25-30 yrds, so I've been alternating between the mod and IC. Will take up the suggestion and do some test patterns soon.