Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broken antlers and 4 points?

Re: Broken antlers and 4 points?

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    binos? .... or maybe a spotter?
    I ordered some nice 12x50s this morning, and will let someone else enjoy my 10x42s. That little bit of extra power would have helped. I have no plans for a spotting scope. I don’t hunt areas that warrant it often enough.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Yes. He would be a 4x3 had the one not broken. He was a 3x3 after the break. You could see the wide spot where the 4th one came off, but it was close to flush with the main beam. Had it still been an 1” long, he’d be hanging in my shop right now. I’ve seen quite a few deer in my life, but this guy was the biggest bodied I’ve seen in person. I spent a very long time looking at him through the binos and decided he was not legal, but still snuck up as close as I could to make sure, figuring if I could see an inch long nub up close, I’d take him. If I spooked him, I was 99% sure I couldn’t shoot anyway, so no loss. On a side note I ordered a new set of higher powered binos today. I can see the need for more magnification after that situation.

It’s good to know I was correct in my interpretation of the regs, and also awesome to be that close to an animal of that stature for so long. Luckily I see it as another great moment spent in the woods, and not as a “disappointing day”. I had my wife’s friends 14 year old with me (it was his birthday, and first “real” deer hunt), so it was also great to get him some up close interaction.
    Have a good look at the definition of tine/point on page 4 a broken point a inch long may still not be legal.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Have a good look at the definition of tine/point on page 4 a broken point a inch long may still not be legal.
    I have. Moot point as there was no nub left.

Yup, they have to be higher than width.
    Quite often you see this with bull elk that are still only 5pt but are just starting to develop that sixth point.
    Pretty certain there are folks who have taken elk that say it’s a six, but it’s not.
    I have been pm@d a few times with photos from cams asking if the bull is legal when the season opens.
    The answer back is usually no, not legal.

I look at it this way, if I have to ask myself if that is legal and hmm and hah over it, I just don’t do it.
    No use trying to convince yourself, you will all know when it’s legal.

So you saw a 3x3 muley.

It's not so bad with deer and elk, but with bull moose a lot of 'points' don't meet the legal requirements. I've seen quite a few 10 pt racks in camps that, in my opinion, weren't legal. I'd welcome a change to the 10 pt moose regulation to something that is a little easier to comply with, perhaps less moose would be shot and left.

Quote Originally Posted by canucks6 View Post
    So you saw a 3x3 muley.
    Thanks for your valuable contribution.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    It's not so bad with deer and elk, but with bull moose a lot of 'points' don't meet the legal requirements. I've seen quite a few 10 pt racks in camps that, in my opinion, weren't legal. I'd welcome a change to the 10 pt moose regulation to something that is a little easier to comply with, perhaps less moose would be shot and left.
    Its bad with deer and elk as well, you want change make them all have to be inspected, lots of the ones people take home wouldnt pass as legal.