Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken antlers and 4 points?

Broken antlers and 4 points?

I’m not sure if it’s covered specifically in the regs, but what is the consensus on broken antlers? I had a MONSTER of a 4x3 mulie in my sights at 30 yards on Saturday, but passed on it as one of its tines was broken off making it only a 3 point. I’m 99.9% sure the COs would not see anything amusing about my trying to explain that “he WAS a 4 pt, but one of his tines broke off”. Am I wrong, or? It’s the first time I’ve come across this situation.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Broken antlers and 4 points?

Are you saying he had 4 points on one side? Or was the point broken off on the 3 side?
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because you agree with it"
    -Abraham Lincoln

If there is an inch of the broken tine remaining it still counts.

Beyond that, no, tines that are missing cannot be added into the point tally, regardless of the reason they're absent.

What Otter said, if it is broke right at base, then no, but an inch up yes.
    And if i understand your post, it was the 4 pt antler that was broken?
    He was naturally a 3 on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    What Otter said, if it is broke right at base, then no, but an inch up yes.
    And if i understand your post, it was the 4 pt antler that was broken?
    He was naturally a 3 on the other side.
    Yes. He would be a 4x3 had the one not broken. He was a 3x3 after the break. You could see the wide spot where the 4th one came off, but it was close to flush with the main beam. Had it still been an 1” long, he’d be hanging in my shop right now. I’ve seen quite a few deer in my life, but this guy was the biggest bodied I’ve seen in person. I spent a very long time looking at him through the binos and decided he was not legal, but still snuck up as close as I could to make sure, figuring if I could see an inch long nub up close, I’d take him. If I spooked him, I was 99% sure I couldn’t shoot anyway, so no loss. On a side note I ordered a new set of higher powered binos today. I can see the need for more magnification after that situation.

It’s good to know I was correct in my interpretation of the regs, and also awesome to be that close to an animal of that stature for so long. Luckily I see it as another great moment spent in the woods, and not as a “disappointing day”. I had my wife’s friends 14 year old with me (it was his birthday, and first “real” deer hunt), so it was also great to get him some up close interaction.
    Last edited by Redthies; 10-24-2022 at 11:05 AM.

binos? .... or maybe a spotter?

tine length vs width is important
    wasted lots of time on a BIG moose trying to count another tine on the old smooth top of a big 9 point, had to be 55" but had to let him walk
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

I assume no any Buck season where you live?

Yup, lesson is when in doubt, don’t shoot.
    Much better to walk away and try another day then live a lifetime of regret.

I had a bull elk that I am sure was 6 pts both side, but was so tiny I just couldn’t imagine him being legal and the snow was flying hard, so never 100% positive.
    Had a big tall 3x3 buck broadside a 40 yards that I am sure had a legal weird tine growing off the main beam.
    I let him walk.
    I got trail cam photos of him a week later and he has something there, and I know some folks would shoot, but to me it just wasn’t fair enough to make that assumption.
    He walked also,
    No regrets, and I still have memories of bugling in a bull and making a close stalk on a decent MD.
    To me, that is a win already.
    I didn’t need to prove I can shoot straight, I can do that at the range.
    No regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    I assume no any Buck season where you live?
    White tail is any deer, but they all seem to be in my front yard, and my only neighbor is a total wingnut vegan. It’s not worth it. I should mention she is also smoking hot, but if you’ve ever seen the video on the “Hot/Crazy chart”, it was modeled off her!

I’m in the 4 pt zone for MD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Yup, when in doubt, don’t shoot.
    Much better to walk away and try another day then live a lifetime of regret.
    That is, and has always been my ethics. I’ve passed on legal deer more than once because I didn’t like the shot. I’d rather eat tag soup than have a poor shot end up with a lost animal.