Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with a big brisket?

What to do with a big brisket?

I have a 20 pound beef brisket here I need to do something with. I usually smoke half and have it as dinner and make the other half into Montreal smoked meat. Last time I did beef bacon, but it turned out a bit, although the flavour was really good

Any ideas to try something new?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What to do with a big brisket?

Smoke the whole thing and make chilli with the extra. I usually make chilli with any leftover brisket and as much as I love brisket, brisket chilli might be better.

Smoke the fat trimmings as well for a few hours in a pan and then finish rendering the fat for tallow. Then you get to make everything taste like brisket when you use it to fry up eggs or hash browns etc.

With elk moose or venison brisket we’ll cut it small enough to go in the slow cooker with carnitas spices & a bay leaf. It just falls apart and is delicious.

I vac packed one today with cure and spice for Montreal smoke

Quote Originally Posted by cdub View Post
    I vac packed one today with cure and spice for Montreal smoke
    Do you care to share your recipe? I’ll share mine if you guys want it.

I bought a cheap coffee grinder for grinding my spices. It’s a world of difference

You can cut it into short rib sized pieces cook them in a crockpot or pressure cooker then coated in your fav bbq sauce put them on the barbeque only to give them a good char on the outside. We call em boneless rib-lets.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

I use the recipe from old fat guy site. Using measurements of grams per kilo when curing seems to work best so not over salty.
    Smoke it to temp, rest and cool overnight then gently steam to finish temp. We then cool it and run through the slicer for reubens.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Do you care to share your recipe? I’ll share mine if you guys want it.

I bought a cheap coffee grinder for grinding my spices. It’s a world of difference

Quote Originally Posted by cdub View Post
    I use the recipe from old fat guy site. Using measurements of grams per kilo when curing seems to work best so not over salty.
    Smoke it to temp, rest and cool overnight then gently steam to finish temp. We then cool it and run through the slicer for reubens.
    Thanks. I’ll compare it to mine and try making some tweaks.

I cure mine for 10-11 days and soak it in cold water for a few hours before I smoke it to get rid of some of the salt.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    You can cut it into short rib sized pieces cook them in a crockpot or pressure cooker then coated in your fav bbq sauce put them on the barbeque only to give them a good char on the outside. We call em boneless rib-lets.
    Im going to try this. Similar to burnt ends…

I think I’ll smoke them for a couple hours, then wrap them in foil for a few more and then cover them in sauce and turn the heat up.