Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm at a cross roads in my hunting career

Re: I'm at a cross roads in my hunting career

I hear ya and the “ What you didn’t catch anything “ “ No didn’t catch anything “ Hunting is not like an STD ! You don’t catch the animals you kill them ooops harvest them !
    Arctic Lakeg
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    I’m in the same boat for different reasons. I suck at it and 8 years or so in with only a couple big game animals down, the hunting trips aren’t fun anymore with all the pressure I feel to get some meat. I’ve spent lots of time feeling successful with lessons learned and seeing cool things but there comes a point you get sick of the comments, jokes or hearing your mother in law say “Nothing? Awwwwwww” not to mention the empty freezer and stupid money spent getting out there.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Well hunting with those first two mentioned Hmmmm. Ha Ha Ha LOl There far and away above my level !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Norwestalta View Post
    I know what you mean and yes I enjoy that. Problem is work. With my job I don't typically get holidays. It's feast or famine. The fall and winter is typically my busy time with spring bringing breakup and lean times. Don and Jim are supposed to be coming up here one day as well as Otto and Kieran. These guys don't need mentoring but do need a little advanced notice. Sometimes I don't know a day ahead what I'm doing let alone a week or two. Generally when the phone rings I gotta go if I don't the phone stops ringing. One of the great pleasures of being self employed.

One of the things I've found guiding or mentoring is I put more pressure on myself to find that animal for them then I normally would for myself.
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 10-21-2022 at 08:41 PM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    I hear ya and the “ What you didn’t catch anything “ “ No didn’t catch anything “ Hunting is not like an STD ! You don’t catch the animals you kill them ooops harvest them !
    Arctic Lakeg
    Sorry but this makes me laugh. You guys hunt like I trap. I told the wife how much money was in it. I neglected to tell her that the money was going out at the time. She's keeping close tabs on the marten count. Figure I only need to catch 1500 marten and 25000 squirrels to break even for the last couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Arctic Lakeg
    Hahaha yep. My MIL is great but damn when I hear her every time I get home without something it’s like nails on a chalk board.

Sorry but this makes me laugh. You guys hunt like I trap. I told the wife how much money was in it. I neglected to tell her that the money was going out at the time. She's keeping close tabs on the marten count. Figure I only need to catch 1500 marten and 25000 squirrels to break even for the last couple years.
    That should be easy shouldn’t it

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    That should be easy shouldn’t it
    One would think but I suck at trapping. Lol

One would think but I suck at trapping. Lol
    1500 Martens is going to be a HUGH problem then RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    1500 Martens is going to be a HUGH problem then RJ
    1493 to be exact. Caught 7 last year. No market for the flying squirrel I caught so I only have to catch 24998 because I think the weasel I caught equals 2 squirrel.
    Last edited by Norwestalta; 10-21-2022 at 09:41 PM.

my goal is to be BC's foremost squirrel trapper. lots of pelts to go...top quality was $2 a fur, so gotta hustle!! also you can send tails to Mepps for credit buying fishing gear.

hunting is my new go to, with all my energy. used to have another obsession that took the same kind of commitment and money, it's just transferred now to this after over 15 years of the other one. It's not that i don't like what i did for so long, but life goes on, so to say.

if you are of the type that can dedicate the focus to hunting or trapping then your next pursuit will be equally meaningful and fulfilling. when you find that next thing, hunting related or not, you will know. good luck on your journey

I know what you mean and yes I enjoy that. Problem is work. With my job I don't typically get holidays. It's feast or famine. The fall and winter is typically my busy time with spring bringing breakup and lean times. Don and Jim are supposed to be coming up here one day as well as Otto and Kieran. These guys don't need mentoring but do need a little advanced notice. Sometimes I don't know a day ahead what I'm doing let alone a week or two. Generally when the phone rings I gotta go if I don't the phone stops ringing. One of the great pleasures of being self employed.

One of the things I've found guiding or mentoring is I put more pressure on myself to find that animal for them then I normally would for myself.
    Blaine I still would like to take that trip with Jim and others, but my life is in the twilight zone.
    I recall some insane solo trips in the mountains that took more than I thought, so a few times
    ended up in a pretty tough spot, however I enjoyed every one of them.
    Right now every day I wake up is a good day and I realise I can't be like I once was.
    Still like to go out, take a gun and look around, but the fire once was burning is barely a flicker now.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕