Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm at a cross roads in my hunting career

Re: I'm at a cross roads in my hunting career

Sitka glad to hear I'm not the only one. Like you I really enjoy going out and checking the trail cam pics. I think that's what I like about the trapping. I'm not necessarily targeting a specific animal but certainly a specific species.

A year off being sick, then economic down turns and a pandemic makes a pay cheque very important. Luckily only 5 years then mortgage free. Yeeyee.

I had never heard the term "work starts when the animals falls'. NOW I LIVE IT. 62 and counting.
    I am looking at a spot to rent to go ice fishing more often.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

I hear ya. I've definitely done a fair bit less hunting the last few years, but I'm not too worried about it. I travel more, fish more and take more pictures. If you're withdrawing from recreation all together, I'd be concerned, but if your filling your hunting time with other outdoor pursuits, then I'd just roll with it and enjoy every day.

I’m in the same boat for different reasons. I suck at it and 8 years or so in with only a couple big game animals down, the hunting trips aren’t fun anymore with all the pressure I feel to get some meat. I’ve spent lots of time feeling successful with lessons learned and seeing cool things but there comes a point you get sick of the comments, jokes or hearing your mother in law say “Nothing? Awwwwwww” not to mention the empty freezer and stupid money spent getting out there.

80 plus years and still can't sleep the night before leaving on a hunting trip, used to only get away once a year for big game now that I am retired I try to get away as often as I can, spring bear, deer on the island and mainland moose and try to work in an elk trip.

You're not the only one. I still enjoy hunting just not as rabid about as I once was. For me recently semi just about full time retired I find I enjoy getting out looking reading the sign seeing animals but I'm not nearly as quick on the trigger as I once was. Some of that is just the wife and I at home now but that's not all of it. Heading off with the 3 sons next week and I have a grand daughter starting this year so I like that aspect of it. I've been trying to figure it out, it's kind of weird looking at bucks and not shooting them. Without getting to philosophical it feels like appreciating life even a deers life as I get older.
    "Bullshit doesn't need to be countered by anything, just called out for what it is." Edward Teach

Filming and making videos. Put all of your tips and tricks on YouTube or something similar.

Ive never really cared about taking an animal, it’s always been more about being outside and taking in the experience. I just started packing a dslr and my tripod. We’ll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    I’m in the same boat for different reasons. I suck at it and 8 years or so in with only a couple big game animals down, the hunting trips aren’t fun anymore with all the pressure I feel to get some meat. I’ve spent lots of time feeling successful with lessons learned and seeing cool things but there comes a point you get sick of the comments, jokes or hearing your mother in law say “Nothing? Awwwwwww” not to mention the empty freezer and stupid money spent getting out there.
    Ya that don't help being pressured. I've been pretty fortunate that the wife has been somewhat supportive except for when I took a whole 6 weeks off. Quit my job to go hunting lol. That didn't impress her much. I wouldn't get to discouraged. If it's something you enjoy keep with it. I don't know what you're hunting but getting skunked isn't always a bad thing (happens to us all) because every hunting excursion has its own unique tale and is never the same. I'm fortunate that I can hunt from my kitchen window and that is possibly why I'm at the cross roads I'm at. I don't and haven't for years explored a new cutline or a new oilfield/logging road. May that's what I'm missing is the adventure of what's over that hill or around that bend.

My wife is fine with it. It’s the pressure I’ve started to put on myself knowing it’s harder for her and the kids while I’m gone. It’s good to fail gracefully in front of your kids once in awhile but maybe not every time ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwestalta View Post
    Ya that don't help being pressured. I've been pretty fortunate that the wife has been somewhat supportive except for when I took a whole 6 weeks off. Quit my job to go hunting lol. That didn't impress her much. I wouldn't get to discouraged. If it's something you enjoy keep with it. I don't know what you're hunting but getting skunked isn't always a bad thing (happens to us all) because every hunting excursion has its own unique tale and is never the same. I'm fortunate that I can hunt from my kitchen window and that is possibly why I'm at the cross roads I'm at. I don't and haven't for years explored a new cutline or a new oilfield/logging road. May that's what I'm missing is the adventure of what's over that hill or around that bend.
    Sounds like you need to book an Africa hunt, or some helicopter hog hunting in the states

Although I still look forward to fall, and getting out there, I have to say the days long pack hunts/hikes have become a rarity. While I still get off the road, seems like the more the years go by the more I like the benefits of a heated seat and steering wheel on those frosty mornings!