Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm at a cross roads in my hunting career

I'm at a cross roads in my hunting career

Well it seems that the spark I used to have for hunting is getting dimmer and dimmer every passing season. At 50 years old I've hunted and shot just about everything I've wanted to with the exception of a mule deer and a Dahl sheep. My kids hunt but are to busy making a living. My grandchildren are to young yet with the oldest just turned 3. With the ups and downs of the alberta oil patch I myself can't commit to time off to go hunting because putting loot in the bank has become a priority where before I'd quit a job to go hunting. Lol
    I'm at a cross roads in my mind on selling most of my guns and trading the hunting boots for snowshoes so I can more actively trap, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Anyone gone through this? I'm hoping it's just a passing phase and if not what did you do to rekindle the passion that you once had for hunting?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: I'm at a cross roads in my hunting career

Passing phase for sure. Keep your stuff, take a little time off for other stuff and wait for the hunger to come back. It’s in your blood, and it doesn’t just go away. Even if you never return to the fanaticism you may have once had, your passion will reignite.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Quote Originally Posted by RugDoctor View Post
    Passing phase for sure. Keep your stuff, take a little time off for other stuff and wait for the hunger to come back. It’s in your blood, and it doesn’t just go away. Even if you never return to the fanaticism you may have once had, your passion will reignite.
    Spring beaver hunting gets the passion going. Seems since we've bought the farm everything is a chip shot and has become boring. I hunt within 5 miles from home. Last couple of years I've been buying tags for everything but only wanting to shoot my cow elk for the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwestalta View Post
    Well it seems that the spark I used to have for hunting is getting dimmer and dimmer every passing season. At 50 years old I've hunted and shot just about everything I've wanted to with the exception of a mule deer and a Dahl sheep. My kids hunt but are to busy making a living. My grandchildren are to young yet with the oldest just turned 3. With the ups and downs of the alberta oil patch I myself can't commit to time off to go hunting because putting loot in the bank has become a priority where before I'd quit a job to go hunting. Lol
    I'm at a cross roads in my mind on selling most of my guns and trading the hunting boots for snowshoes so I can more actively trap, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Anyone gone through this? I'm hoping it's just a passing phase and if not what did you do to rekindle the passion that you once had for hunting?
    I hear ya. The mountains still call me but not like they used to. I just got back from a hunt up top and my knees, back, legs and traps are killing me. I used to run up the mountains. I now almost force myself to go.
    I think it's normal to take a step back and re evaluate what you enjoy.
    Hunting the promised land

Considering some of the dilemma I found myself in these days, I am at the same crossroads albeit slightly different reasons.
    If the situation remains the same by next season, I might be hanging them up as well.
    Wont be selling anything however.
    Not like I will make much off of it.
    Somwtimes being away from it, and then going back at it in a couple of years is all that is needed to rekindle things.

Norwestalta
    Why don’t you mentor someone who would gain from you knowledge . Doesn’t need to be a young person there are plenty of middle aged fellas who struggle with “ What am I doing wrong “ and question their tactics .
    Might make a great friend !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

The older I get everything I used to enjoy becomes work.
    Hunting the promised land

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Norwestalta
    Why don’t you mentor someone who would gain from you knowledge . Doesn’t need to be a young person there are plenty of middle aged fellas who struggle with “ What am I doing wrong “ and question their tactics .
    Might make a great friend !
    Arctic Lake
    I know what you mean and yes I enjoy that. Problem is work. With my job I don't typically get holidays. It's feast or famine. The fall and winter is typically my busy time with spring bringing breakup and lean times. Don and Jim are supposed to be coming up here one day as well as Otto and Kieran. These guys don't need mentoring but do need a little advanced notice. Sometimes I don't know a day ahead what I'm doing let alone a week or two. Generally when the phone rings I gotta go if I don't the phone stops ringing. One of the great pleasures of being self employed.

One of the things I've found guiding or mentoring is I put more pressure on myself to find that animal for them then I normally would for myself.
    Last edited by Norwestalta; 10-21-2022 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    The older I get everything I used to enjoy becomes work.
    Ain't that the truth.

I kind of struggled with this years ago. Wondered why I hunted and such, so took a couple years off and tried to find other interesting things to do.....late season fishing, snowshoeing, downhill skiing, etc. I kept guiding as I really enjoyed that. But chasing elk, moose and deer was not interesting anymore.

I had to find something that was challenging me and was interesting. I found it in trail cams; building my own home brews, placing them in the bush and seeing what was around. It became an obsession and from that, the challenge was to target a certain animal and hunt that animal. It got the interest back up and I started hunting again. Then to challenge myself even more, I picked up the bow again and started shooting 3D and "stump shooting". Now I hunt with a crossbow as I have Essential Tremour that affects my bow shooting accuracy.

Try to find something that challenges you and maybe it ignites the flames again.

And, as someone who a few years older than you and experienced some of the same things you mentioned, the pay cheque should not be running your life. Years ago, we switched from "live to work" to "work to live" and enjoy the benefits.

Good luck

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!