Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Satellite Communicators.

Re: Satellite Communicators.

Im using the iridium GO
    It’s great , you can connect up to 6 smart phones.
    you can send messages and make phone calls from your smart phone .

i bought garmin mini before that and found it to be slow so returned it .

Used a gen 1 spot for a long time. Switched to an inreach mini a couple years back. Zero complaints and fits my needs perfectly

I have used the inreach explorer for several years. Being able to send and receive text messages gives my family peace of mind. This year I had one issue with not being able to get a message out. We were in a deep narrow valley so I guess there was not a satellite visible. That’s been the only problem I have had

Quote Originally Posted by jimzuk View Post
    I have used the inreach explorer for several years. Being able to send and receive text messages gives my family peace of mind. This year I had one issue with not being able to get a message out. We were in a deep narrow valley so I guess there was not a satellite visible. That’s been the only problem I have had
    Would be same for any BRAND of unit . RJ

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    I've got a Garmin Inreach Explorer.

It might seem a steep price to pay initially buying and there is an annual fee to pay, plus the monthly fee to pay to use, but the peace of mind it buys is priceless.

In the end my big-game hunting trip was all of five days this year, but I was able to stay in touch with home every day and that gives my wife reassurance. She has been getting more and more reluctant to see me take off alone in the woods alone, but compared to the days when I would take off for a week and she wouldn't know if I was alive or dead until I returned having the satellite connection is night and day.

I have three free pre-set messages I can send plus I have ten text messages per month I can send or recieve in my plan. Extras cost a bit more, but it is minimal. It's a great resource and of course it has the SOS panic button if things really go sideways like a broken leg or other serious accident.
    Yes, one of the big reasons for me wanting a satellite com is the wife is likely to issue more hall passes. With young active children it's just as much for her to contact me in home emergencies as me to get messages out.
    The three free preset messages sounds like a huge plus!

Quote Originally Posted by tko View Post
    Im using the iridium GO
    It’s great , you can connect up to 6 smart phones.
    you can send messages and make phone calls from your smart phone .

i bought garmin mini before that and found it to be slow so returned it .
    I am going to have to look into this one. I had not even considered phone calls; but I guess why not.
    It's kind of funny because I love nothing better than being in the middle of nowhere without signal and the hassils of this world but then find it harder and harder to carve out time to be in such places without communication. Double edges sword perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Used a gen 1 spot for a long time. Switched to an inreach mini a couple years back. Zero complaints and fits my needs perfectly
    It seems that people switch from spot to inreach but I have not read of many making the switch in the other direction. The initial price is higher but better to buy once. I think I will likely settle on a Garmin Inreach mini primarily because I have read very little negative feedback on it.

Never had an issue with my inreach. I’ve even asked for extra days off while out of cell service with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponderosa Pine View Post
    I am going to have to look into this one. I had not even considered phone calls; but I guess why not.
    It's kind of funny because I love nothing better than being in the middle of nowhere without signal and the hassils of this world but then find it harder and harder to carve out time to be in such places without communication. Double edges sword perhaps.
    Bit too Pricey for Me ! But A VERY KOOL UNIT thou ! RJ

Iridium GO! Global Smartphone Access (roadpost.ca)

I think they are all good reliable units and will give you what you need when it really matters with the SOS. Fortunately never had to use that feature and I don’t do the daily call to the wife while out alone as she’s fairly confident that all’s well unless I call for help. I’ve had both the Spot Gen 3 and Inreach explorer+. Was not happy with Spots billing practices a few years ago as was not able to suspend account….so had to pay when didn’t really need it….Inreach was easier to suspend/activate as needed. I think Spot has improved in that area and newer models offer more functionality. I use the email feature on my InReach as we do quite a few float plane lake drops and have switched lakes along the way based on weather or the hunting….was very quick/easy to communicate with pilots to adjust pickup locations and dates. The gps navigation on the Inreach is not terrible…although the screens are a bit small. Battery life on the explorer+ is excellent and lasted 5-6 days in low temps between charges.