Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Satellite Communicators.

Question Satellite Communicators.

There are quite a few Satellite Communication options now on the market but what is the best value?
    It appears that the plans offered to service the various devices are just as large of a consideration as the device itself.
    I am leaning towards the Zoleo or Garmin inReach mini but open to any real world advice.
    Thank you!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Satellite Communicators.

I've got a Garmin Inreach Explorer.

It might seem a steep price to pay initially buying and there is an annual fee to pay, plus the monthly fee to pay to use, but the peace of mind it buys is priceless.

In the end my big-game hunting trip was all of five days this year, but I was able to stay in touch with home every day and that gives my wife reassurance. She has been getting more and more reluctant to see me take off alone in the woods alone, but compared to the days when I would take off for a week and she wouldn't know if I was alive or dead until I returned having the satellite connection is night and day.

I have three free pre-set messages I can send plus I have ten text messages per month I can send or recieve in my plan. Extras cost a bit more, but it is minimal. It's a great resource and of course it has the SOS panic button if things really go sideways like a broken leg or other serious accident.
    Last edited by MichelD; 10-21-2022 at 10:28 AM.

I like my zoleo, especially the fact that a permanent SMS number so when you are out of cell service someone can text you on your zoleo if there is an issue at home

I love my Zoleo as well. Using for over a year and no issues

Ive used a zoleo for about 16 months now and love it super easy to use and reliable as hell.

There are a ton of threads on these devices. I have an InReach Mini, but never needed to use it yet. Below is some more reading.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?167453-GPS-Emergency-Locater-Communicator-suggestions&highlight=Satellite
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by coyotebc View Post
    I like my zoleo, especially the fact that a permanent SMS number so when you are out of cell service someone can text you on your zoleo if there is an issue at home
    That's handy! I use the Inreach Explorer SE. It's great, but for someone to send you a message, they have to reply to a text or email and you always have to explain to people "okay, so if you keep the text chat / email thread, you can send me messages through that, but if you create a new text or email, it won't reach me" .... like "huh?" lol

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    That's handy! I use the Inreach Explorer SE. It's great, but for someone to send you a message, they have to reply to a text or email and you always have to explain to people "okay, so if you keep the text chat / email thread, you can send me messages through that, but if you create a new text or email, it won't reach me" .... like "huh?" lol
    I consider that a great feature in my Inreach. I don't need/want people texting me when I'm out in the backcountry. I'll send a message to my wife and generally 1 or 2 other contacts before I head out and if there's a situation that warrants my trip getting interrupted, it will get relayed through my wife or contact(s).

My main concern with a satellite messaging device is that it reliably sends/receives messages when I ask it to. I have never had an issue with my Inreach SE since I started using it in 2014.

hmmm still using SPOT gen X..

STILL no real world problems..
    however I have noted Garmin -SPOT dont do unit to unit well different systems..
    Steven
    SPOT Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    I consider that a great feature in my Inreach. I don't need/want people texting me when I'm out in the backcountry. I'll send a message to my wife and generally 1 or 2 other contacts before I head out and if there's a situation that warrants my trip getting interrupted, it will get relayed through my wife or contact(s).

My main concern with a satellite messaging device is that it reliably sends/receives messages when I ask it to. I have never had an issue with my Inreach SE since I started using it in 2014.
    You raise a good point there Ditto on Inreach being reliable. I switched to it from SPOT over a year ago and find it faster and more reliable.