Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canada Goose Recipes

Canada Goose Recipes

Does anyone have any great recipes for goose meat? Our sons have shot a few over the last few seasons and we have used them for pepperoni or slow cooked them. However, my boy and I cooked one up sous vide on the weekend and we were pleasantly surprised how delicious they are. It very much had the appearance, texture, and even similar taste to beef. I'm on a mission now to find more great recipes for Canada Goose. One of the obvious challenges is how tough they can be which sous vide helps with. Does anyone have any other great tips to make a goose into a tender, delicious meal.

Thanks for any tips,
    Brian

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Canada Goose Recipes

My parents do their own variation of the classic Malaysian Beef Rendang and just swap in goose. I've lately just given them my Canada geese as they have the patience and time to prepare it. It is delicious and also it removes any possibility of overcooking since you are slow cooking it.

https://rasamalaysia.com/beef-rendan...endang-daging/

https://smartslowcooker.com/blog/beef-rendang

Other than that I personally don't eat them as steaks - snowies are more delicious to my palate - and I grind them into burgers, pasta sauce, chili and taco meat.

Brine goose. Smoke goose 1 hour... wrap in tinfoil and rest. Reheat in oven at 350 about an hour or core temperature 165 when ready to eat... save left overs for soup...

The best goose legs

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...EST-goose-legs

the breasts sub in well for most beef recipes, especially slow cooked ones like a stroganoff or stew.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Brine goose. Smoke goose 1 hour... wrap in tinfoil and rest. Reheat in oven at 350 about an hour or core temperature 165 when ready to eat... save left overs for soup...
    I will second this smoked goose is delicious...

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    This sounds great!

Oh boy, I haven't had Rendang for quite awhile. That sounds like a great idea and the slow cooking will definitely make it tender.

Smoked Goose sounds great and I love to smoke meat. However, does it get tough at those temperatures?

We tried taking the legs and one breast out of the sous vide, breading it, and deep frying. It was good but too tough for my liking. Maybe I messed up. @upperleftcoaster do you find the tough at all from that recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Breiber View Post
    Oh boy, I haven't had Rendang for quite awhile. That sounds like a great idea and the slow cooking will definitely make it tender.

Smoked Goose sounds great and I love to smoke meat. However, does it get tough at those temperatures?

We tried taking the legs and one breast out of the sous vide, breading it, and deep frying. It was good but too tough for my liking. Maybe I messed up. @upperleftcoaster do you find the tough at all from that recipe?

i only did the legs that way. It was fall of the bone tender. I even experimented by taking the tendons out of one drumstick to see if there was a toughness difference, but none that I could tell. I gave it a solid amount of time though to get the collagen to gelatin conversion done

i will add that the deep fry step was like for 30seconds to get the thinnest batter coating crispy and golden brown. A long fry up might dry out the meat more
    Last edited by upperleftcoaster; 10-17-2022 at 02:37 PM.

I roast the whole goose slowly in the oven stuffed with apples and a few pieces of onion. Maybe a few strips of bacon laid across the top. Real simple, real good, but you have to be good at plucking the whole bird.

I've considered trying a roast goose but now I'm concerned it would be too tough.