Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5-01 Moose?

Re: 5-01 Moose?

Thanks, Chris. I don't need a big bull as I'll be out there for meat and the camaraderie and experience. A "little guy" is just fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotMoose View Post
    Congrats on the bull Tigrr. There have been a few going down around here this year. Do you have any pictures? Would love to see if you do. Calling has been more successful up here this year than the past few in my experience. When the wolves were at their worst we went years without calling in a bull. We saw moose but they were silent.

Sapper - you still have a good chance at calling in bulls this weekend with the cow call. The cows who haven’t bred should be coming into their second estrus. Majority of the big bulls have done their thing already and will be back in the thick stuff but this is a chance for the little guys to breed so they are overly eager when they hear that super slutty cow call. It has been hot and dry up here especially for this time of year so focus on areas with easy access to water and of course feed. Be sure to let me know how you make out.

Chris .
    "How, given the canine teeth and close-set eyes that declare the human animal to be a predator, had we come up with the notion that oat bran is more natural to eat than chicken?" Valerie Martin, The Great Divorce

Congratulations, Tigrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Good luck guys, I got mine Sept 11th.
    I found him in a new clear cut. Called there the night before.
    "How, given the canine teeth and close-set eyes that declare the human animal to be a predator, had we come up with the notion that oat bran is more natural to eat than chicken?" Valerie Martin, The Great Divorce

This was a very good day. Sept 11th.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by sapper View Post
    Thanks, this will be my first moose if successful. Had to field dress many deer and am a little intimidated about the field dressing of the moose but we'll make some life memories and get it done. Then sleep.
    If you can't take the whole carcass, like tigrr did above, then I suggest using the gutless method. Skin the one side, take off quarters, remove the backstrap, neck meat. Stretch out the hide, and then roll onto the hide. Repeat the other side. Makes for a very manageable job this way, and not having to step around the gut pile, blood area.

Can cut out the rib racks easy at the end as well, when you go in for the tenderloins, and if you take the heart, liver.

My 18 yr old daughter and myself did one in the field in under 4 hours. Loaded and cleaned ready to travel.

Good luck out there.

Quote Originally Posted by wallz View Post
    If you can't take the whole carcass, like tigrr did above, then I suggest using the gutless method. Skin the one side, take off quarters, remove the backstrap, neck meat. Stretch out the hide, and then roll onto the hide. Repeat the other side. Makes for a very manageable job this way, and not having to step around the gut pile, blood area.

Can cut out the rib racks easy at the end as well, when you go in for the tenderloins, and if you take the heart, liver.

My 18 yr old daughter and myself did one in the field in under 4 hours. Loaded and cleaned ready to travel.

Good luck out there.
    Thanks, wallz. I was just wondering where I was going to pack the excavator or... where I was going to get an excavator.

Can anyone see the pic in post #13?
    Here is another one.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Can anyone see the pic in post #13?
    Here is another one.
    NO picture in #13 but this post shows ur Moose ! Good one Bud RJ

No picture in #13 but your last one is here and clear ! Congrats on that bull!
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Yes, Good. I want to buy an excavator because my friend's excavator was purchased using the excavator rental option six months ago. While hunting, he always used excavators for labor-intensive tasks.

How did you make out?