Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: All things CANOE

Re: All things CANOE

Sheeesh ! What a master !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Bill Mason's films on canoeing are great.You should be able to find them on YouTube. He is the best filmmaker Canada has produced.

A tinny is motor boat not a row boat. That fat @ss provides flotation for the operator and the motor, but also drags half the lake behind it. The one with the widest beam is the best, except when you are lifting the boat on the roof racks, it adds weight. A deep v-ed bow a helps with sea keeping . A very good feature when the wind picks up. North south rear seats work better than the much more common east west seats. My buddy had a Mirrorcraft, it was an excellent boat. It's worth looking for.

Good information Downwind ! Not sure I know what you mean by North South Seats vs East West ? Do you mean North South is Bow To Stern ?
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    Bill Mason's films on canoeing are great.You should be able to find them on YouTube. He is the best filmmaker Canada has produced.

A tinny is motor boat not a row boat. That fat @ss provides flotation for the operator and the motor, but also drags half the lake behind it. The one with the widest beam is the best, except when you are lifting the boat on the roof racks, it adds weight. A deep v-ed bow a helps with sea keeping . A very good feature when the wind picks up. North south rear seats work better than the much more common east west seats. My buddy had a Mirrorcraft, it was an excellent boat. It's worth looking for.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Yes, it's a carry over from campers. Tinnys don't pack, if you go by their DOT plates. But reading plates can tell you about the boat. Some 12' only are good to 7.5hp !!, others are up to 10hp or like mine, 15hp. Marv had one of those lightweight 12' and got swamped, he then traded it off for a 10' Harborcraft. He was very happy the Harborcarft. If I'm fishng a lake I'll use the tinny, if I'm hunting down a creek, the V-stern, after all I'll have to go upstream at some point. Camping on a river, the cedar strip Nomad. A couple of my friends tried hunting down a small river in a tinny. They ended up walking out, leaving the tinny.

This is an informative video on canoes, development of building methods etc. Cedar canvas is still one of the lightest canoes to build. Funny I lived in Ottawa for 13 years & worked part time nights/weekends at a small ski hill in Wakefield. The town is in Quebec across the river from Ottawa. I had no idea this business was there. The movie Grey Owl starring Pierce Brosnan featured scenes shot around Wakefield.
    Last edited by mike31154; 10-29-2022 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    Bill Mason's films on canoeing are great.You should be able to find them on YouTube. He is the best filmmaker Canada.

There are a couple more if you search “path of the paddle” on YouTube. I think he made a feature film as well, but don’t recall the title. I thought it was Path of the Paddle.
    Last edited by Elkaddict; 10-29-2022 at 04:03 PM.

Got to spend a couple days on the water this weekend in the new boat. Got to experience a little bit of choppy water and it handled it great.

Nice, fall colours and calm water. Just for hunting I’ve gone with a self inflating life jacket. Not as warm but nicer to shoulder a rifle.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Self inflaters are definitely on the to get list. Way more comfortable for extended paddling adventures.

Gets ya into some areas that would take a lot longer on foot. No roads, no problem....

Last edited by mike31154; 10-31-2022 at 10:30 AM.