Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: All things CANOE

Re: All things CANOE

Here is a picture https://www.clippercanoes.com/produc...zie-sport-16-5 The stern is a couple of inches too low for the standard 15" legs . You want the prop in the water lightly loaded, and that's about all. At the owner of Clippers suggestion I changed the stern plywood to a taller one. The old river classic was a 20' or something Grumman with a 20hp Merc.

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    Here is a picture https://www.clippercanoes.com/produc...zie-sport-16-5 The stern is a couple of inches too low for the standard 15" legs . You want the prop in the water lightly loaded, and that's about all. At the owner of Clippers suggestion I changed the stern plywood to a taller one. The old river classic was a 20' or something Grumman with a 20hp Merc.
    Wow, I haven't priced new canoes for some time but had no idea they're well over $2K now! That amount would come close to covering the material cost of building a cedar strip canoe. The labour is another matter.... it takes time & patience.

I've been paddling since I was a teen. 1st canoe was a fire engine red 16' St. Maurice fibreglass. Next came a 17' Lund aluminum. Don't recall the weight, too long ago, but I do remember car topping the Lund myself. I purchased a 2hp Johnson & mounting bracket for that one too. Got me across one lake quickly so I could portage to a smaller one that held trout.

Strangely I have no photos of the St. Maurice, but here's the Lund. If I were to go with motor today, it would be electric.

While living in Ottawa a buddy of mine built a Bob's Special cedar strip canoe & ever since that building my own was on the bucket list. A year after moving to Vernon I got started. Stretched the 15' design length to 16'. It's based on a vintage Chestnut design, altered slightly for modern cedar strip construction. Several years ago I built another, this time standard 15' for my daughter & son in law. This spring I finished a Rob Roy solo for myself. Smaller, lighter & faster but the trade off is reduced stability & cargo capacity. My 16' Bob's weighs 56 lbs, the Rob Roy weighs 36 lbs.

Big Bob & Little Bob on the day I had Hummingbird ready for launch.

Rob Roy solo, Das Boot piggy back on Bob's

Rob Roy on launch day, my favourite alpine lake. It's propelled using double paddle like a kayak & seat is just off the bottom same as a 'yak.
    Last edited by mike31154; 10-27-2022 at 03:36 PM.

My Bob's Special was finished fall of 2005, pushing 17 years old, wearing very well & seeing plenty of use. One advantage of building a strip craft is you have the means & skill to repair any damage. I keep to lakes so less prone to rock damage as when running rivers. Last year I gave it a fresh coat of varnish & fixed some scratches, which are inevitable.

It's scary for the 1st couple years as you don't want to scratch up the mirror finish it has new. This is launch day 2005.

This is a year ago after a successful day of fishing & waterfowl hunting.
    Last edited by mike31154; 10-27-2022 at 03:40 PM.

Good job, Mike! Beautiful canoes.

Not sure if it's the same guy you knew in Ontario, but a friend of mine just bought 2 moulds from an older builder in Ontario who couldn't do it anymore for health reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Good job, Mike! Beautiful canoes.

Not sure if it's the same guy you knew in Ontario, but a friend of mine just bought 2 moulds from an older builder in Ontario who couldn't do it anymore for health reasons.
    Ontario is a big province ;-p. My friend built a 2nd as well but that was decades ago & I reckon he disposed his strong back & molds long before now. My plans are from Bear Mountain Boats based in Ontario. That business is slowly winding down as the owners are getting up there in age too. Ted Moores is the gentleman & he has authored the books CanoeCraft & KayaCraft.

Last edited by mike31154; 10-27-2022 at 03:54 PM.

I’ve been looking at other canoe builds on line
    paper canoe looks interesting . https://youtu.be/IERsFKt-NzM
    Plywood https://youtu.be/VCkARrO_iEc
    Dacron skin canoe for the long pack in places. https://www.woodenboat.com/boat-launchings/ranger-canoe
    if you got time and lot of chopsticks. http://pinktentacle.com/2008/04/cano...le-chopsticks/

The sky is.. or the imagination is the only limit. I just have to get at it
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Beautiful work Mike.

I posted this pic once before when I was selling the moulds. 16’ Prospector, built by my father. It was supposed to be a team project but I got a new job and moved to the other side of the country so he built it solo. Ended up being our wedding present.

I’ve also got a 16’ Peterburough that my Dad partially rebuilt after having it’s bow and stern “modified” after being trapped under a dock during a storm. He rebuilt the damaged ends and then glassed it as opposed t re-canvassing it. It may be sacrilege to purists, but it’s lighter, a great solo paddle, and quite robust.

I haven’t paddled in years. Gotta Get back to it.

Last edited by Elkaddict; 10-28-2022 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Peterburough not Chestnut

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    Wow, I haven't priced new canoes for some time but had no idea they're well over $2K now! That amount would come close to covering the material cost of building a cedar strip canoe. The labour is another matter.... it takes time & patience.

I've been paddling since I was a teen. 1st canoe was a fire engine red 16' St. Maurice fibreglass. Next came a 17' Lund aluminum. Don't recall the weight, too long ago, but I do remember car topping the Lund myself. I purchased a 2hp Johnson & mounting bracket for that one too. Got me across one lake quickly so I could portage to a smaller one that held trout.

Strangely I have no photos of the St. Maurice, but here's the Lund. If I were to go with motor today, it would be electric.

While living in Ottawa a buddy of mine built a Bob's Special cedar strip canoe & ever since that building my own was on the bucket list. A year after moving to Vernon I got started. Stretched the 15' design length to 16'. It's based on a vintage Chestnut design, altered slightly for modern cedar strip construction. Several years ago I built another, this time standard 15' for my daughter & son in law. This spring I finished a Rob Roy solo for myself. Smaller, lighter & faster but the trade off is reduced stability & cargo capacity. My 16' Bob's weighs 56 lbs, the Rob Roy weighs 36 lbs.

Big Bob & Little Bob on the day I had Hummingbird ready for launch.

Rob Roy solo, Das Boot piggy back on Bob's

Rob Roy on launch day, my favourite alpine lake. It's propelled using double paddle like a kayak & seat is just off the bottom same as a 'yak.
    Awesome strippers! I had grand plans of building one as a teenager, bought that very book - Canoecraft and read every word at least three times, bought plans from Bear Mountain (Hiawatha 16’ model IIRC, think I still have the plans in a box in the garage somewhere) but it turned into an unrealized dream and I lost interest in canoes altogether in time. Your pictures almost make me want to revisit that.

Pretend hunter.

Mike ! You are very talented , that’s Craftsmanship ! Beauty boats !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I like that ! You could use it for hunting and fishing ! With a motor or not ? I would think the canoe you linked to would be pretty stable with gear and a buddy . Need to make a couple of trips if you got a moose .I’m not sure what you are saying regarding the prop in the water lightly loaded ? Meaning just what you said ?
    I just think I’m not using our 17’ 6 Tripper . Why ? Because I can’t put a motor on it ? I don’t know . I just think it’s easier to fish out of a boat with a motor rather than trying to paddle and fish but I really don’t have a lot of experience doing that . I’m all for getting an education on such matters !
    Or I just sell the canoe and buy an aluminum boat say 12 or 14 footer with motor and use that for hunting up rivers or fishing on lakes or rivers ? Lots to think about ? Maybe have both ? I need a mentor ! Was not raised in a outdoor family and sat on my ass too much when I was younger . Regrets that I need to get past and get to doing things that I did not !This little set back with the health issue has me thinking shit I’m just passed retirement age man you need to get out man before something really serious hits you then your really buggered , get what I’m saying .
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 10-27-2022 at 05:18 PM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !