Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: All things CANOE

Re: All things CANOE

Consider adding some floatation tubes on the inside of the gunwhales in the Center of both sides. I use boat rollers, which are light and way tougher than the inflatable vinyl stuff sold as floatation for canoes.
    If you do dump, especially solo,the flotation inside the gunwhales keeps the canoe floating high, and much easier to re- enter and bail. The tubes fit comfortably beside the load, and if the load is large you can inflate them to fit.
    Check out Chesapeake Light Craft, and Duckworks- they both stock the kind of beach roller I am referring to.

Clipper makes a nice canoe, mine is 15.5 ' long V stern. I use it solo a lot and have to add weight to the bow to keep things level. Good and stable and a dream to paddle around.

RiverOtter, your new rig is pretty sweet!!

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Clipper makes a nice canoe, mine is 15.5 ' long V stern. I use it solo a lot and have to add weight to the bow to keep things level. Good and stable and a dream to paddle around.

RiverOtter, your new rig is pretty sweet!!
    Is that with a motor on it? If not always sit on the front seat facing back and things will be better.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Is that with a motor on it? If not always sit on the front seat facing back and things will be better.
    Haha, now that would make people laugh. Works good on a double ender but not in the V-stern.

Cool Re: All things CANOE

One of my favorite ways to hunt!

On this trip, my 4x4 calved a day before we scheduled to go.
    Tossed the canoe on top of my Lady's Magnum, and away we went...

She wasn't overly impressed upon my return... LOL

If you look closely at the stern of that whitewater canoe, you will see the custom mount I made. It balanced a 2.5 horsepower outboard perfectly, was right quiet, sipped gas and moved that canoe along much better than one could have expected. Even with a moose in it!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Haha, now that would make people laugh. Works good on a double ender but not in the V-stern.
    Yes it works the same, I've used several v-sterns the v is out of water. Have you tried it?
    Last edited by MRP; 10-19-2022 at 02:57 PM.

Motors are for going uphill. Lakes and canoes can be dangerous combination . I know of a couple of drownings . Canoes take skill and caution.

Floating down river or creek is nice. But often the bush on the banks hides animals from you , after all you are down low. Rivers are like roads to game, now. Where a canoe shines is getting you into places , and makes packing out easy.
    Last edited by Downwindtracker2; 10-19-2022 at 07:46 PM.

That’s a priceless photo Nog ! I have to say it screams Redneck !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    One of my favorite ways to hunt!

On this trip, my 4x4 calved a day before we scheduled to go.
    Tossed the canoe on top of my Lady's Magnum, and away we went...

She wasn't overly impressed upon my return... LOL

If you look closely at the stern of that whitewater canoe, you will see the custom mount I made. It balanced a 2.5 horsepower outboard perfectly, was right quiet, sipped gas and moved that canoe along much better than one could have expected. Even with a moose in it!

Cheers,
    Nog
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

You guys talk about V stern . I’m not sure I know what you mean ? Can you post a picture ? Is that another term for a flat stern that you mount a motor on like the Square Stern Clipper Mackenzie ?
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Yes just a flat black. But there are lots of variations. My old Clipper Expedition the back is small and high up never in the water as long as it’s loaded evenly. Even when I had 2 guys and all the gear, big bull moose and a old 4hp on and a large gas tank.
    Some look like someone just cut off a couple of feet with a big axe like a SportsPal or a Coleman. With 2 in it the back is always in the water and and creates noticeable drag.