Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: All things CANOE

Re: All things CANOE

Geeez that’s a nice place Mike !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Nice pictures also River Otter !
    Arctic Lake

I'll have to keep an eye out for a cedar canoe in my travels, Mike. I think we likely share some of the same haunts...

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Geeez that’s a nice place Mike !
    Arctic Lake
    The centre photo was taken during our moose LEH back in 2018, south of Vanderhoof, a stream feeding Brewster Lake. The other 2 are at a favourite alpine lake in the Monashees between Cherryville & the Needles ferry at Arrow Lake. One of the reasons I chose Vernon to live is the vicinity of beautiful lakes. Kalamalka, Okanagan & Swan Lakes are minutes to drive to from my place. The Aberdeen Plateau above the valley is dotted with many more lakes, one of my favourites there being Oyama Lake. The one in the Monashees takes a good hour & 1/2 depending on road conditions. It's very productive for brookies & rainbows. I love to hunt up there too & have taken waterfowl but no antlered critters yet. Spotted plenty but either out of season or lack of points has left me empty handed in that regard. The peace & beauty of the area keeps me going back. Earlier this month I really stretched the day hunting & fishing up there, staying on the lake until near sunset. Regardless of what kind of watercraft you're in, this kind of scene is good for the soul. Very fortunate capture featuring a burning sky & mirror lake surface.
    Last edited by mike31154; 10-31-2022 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    I'll have to keep an eye out for a cedar canoe in my travels, Mike. I think we likely share some of the same haunts...
    If you're on Facebook there is a group dedicated to cedar strip canoes. Emphasis is on building but occasionally someone posts one for sale. I've been wanting a cedar canvas job for a long time & one came up locally at Dodd's Auction. I had a look at it, decent shape but was outbid, wasn't willing to pay more than my original bid. The 16' Bob's Special I built is starting to feel a bit heavy for this old feller so I finished a smaller Rob Roy solo this spring. Light & fast, but tippier & less room for stuff. The Bob's is still my go to for trips where I think I might bag an ungulate.....

I stretched the design to 16' based on notes provided with the plans.

Last edited by mike31154; 10-31-2022 at 11:21 AM.

Much as I like the look of the cedar canoes, I was thinking more along the lines of bumping into you on your travels one day on a lake somewhere. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Much as I like the look of the cedar canoes, I was thinking more along the lines of bumping into you on your travels one day on a lake somewhere. Haha.
    Welp I don't travel as much as I used to. You're most likely to bump into me close to home these days. Leisurely paddle on Kalamalka Lake in the summer is my most common outing

As you know I’m toying with the idea of motorized canoe or aluminum boat . Will try and post a few of these from YouTube and see what you think . Hope River Otter is okay with this ! If not I will post a new thread !
    https://youtu.be/z7A-2lHaPQ0
    Arctic Lake

Giv'er buddy, it's an open forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    As you know I’m toying with the idea of motorized canoe or aluminum boat . Will try and post a few of these from YouTube and see what you think . Hope River Otter is okay with this ! If not I will post a new thread !
    https://youtu.be/z7A-2lHaPQ0
    Arctic Lake
    Post #22 has a photo of my Lund 17' aluminum with bracket & 2 Hp Johnson. It was a hauler & I could portage & car top it myself no problemo as a young feller haha. Looking at it now I believe the hull shape is reminiscent of a Prospector which was designed to carry a substantial load. I considered building a cedar strip y-stern at one point as Bear Mountain has plans for such a hull. Coppermine I think. Decided against it as I find a standard canoe more versatile than a flatback. Most of my paddling is on smaller lakes so a motor is not necessary to get me where I'm going. Never in much of a hurry as I take pleasure in the act of paddling.

Here are a couple more shots of the Lund on the water. This would be in the late 1970's. Fack I'm getting long in the tooth lol.

This was near Cold Lake in eastern Alberta. Most of the lakes held rather nasty species like Pike, Pickerel & Perch. The motor came in handy getting me across Crane Lake for an uphill portage into a small lake stocked with Rainbows. Took at least 2 if not 3 trips to get the canoe, motor & gear in there.