Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunting bike?

Re: Hunting bike?

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    what kind of bike is that??,,,that be perfect to have,,,,is it a 4 stroke?
    Aim small,,miss small

I sold my quad and bought an ebike this year. I find I'm running into a lot more game on the roads between spots, and I'm more observant of tracks, scat etc. It is easier to hear as well. The option to choose level of assist is nice. Cold mornings it is nice to warm up with some pedaling, but have the assist there to keep you from sweating. Downside is batteries are expensive, and it would be best to have a spare or a genny running to charge if youre camped. I'm not sure how battery life will be affected by colder weather, but I've driven a tesla in the winter and I can guess it's gonna chew it up real fast. Still I think it is worth the trade offs. Accessibility and relative assurance of stealthy entry into spots are worth it for me. I mounted a gun scabbard for horseback onto the front fork, so transport isnt an issue. Saddle bags or a little trailer would top it off, but I'm not balling that hard yet. Oh, another downside is they've roped the ebikes in with every other motor vehicle for these fire impacted areas. Other than that last aspect its the closest to horseback you can get without being stinking rich, and I have enjoyed it very much so far.

hmmm I thought e-bikes were illegal to use for hunting purposes..????

anyone know if that was the thought or did it happen?
    cheers
    steven

Quote Originally Posted by THE SWEDE View Post
    Tw200 nuff said
    TW200 would be my choice..

Quote Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
    It's a Honda trail 70/90/110 and they're great for logging roads. They have an ultra low gear, a tcase type shifter as well. They have nearly no suspension travel, and absolutely shockingly bad ergonomics and geometry, but if they are the sum total of your offroad motorcycle experience, they're great.

I have a bw200, the older, drunker cousin of the tw200, who shows up every couple years at a family event with a new trashy broad, and some wild stories about camp or patch work.

It's not fast, but it also handles like a wet couch. It's as much fun as 3 fat chick's and a truck load of scooters.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
    Honda Trail Bike - yes 4 stroke 90 cc or 110 cc 4 spd transmission with hi-low range I have owned one of each ! There ok but not enough power and tires are to small and there rough riding too ! RJ

yamaha tw200 much better JMO

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Honda Trail Bike - yes 4 stroke 90 cc or 110 cc 4 spd transmission with hi-low range I have owned one of each ! There ok but not enough power and tires are to small and there rough riding too ! RJ

yamaha tw200 much better JMO
    I remember when these bikes were first introduced, my Uncle got the first one at the local dealership and it was a CT50 with a less than optimum swing arm suspension on the front wheel and a dual sprocket on the back wheel to get ultra low range for the 3 speed transmission. If I recall correctly it was followed shortly after by a CT55 in basically the same configuration but slightly more power. A few years later the CT90 was introduced with the same front suspension and then a few years after that they came out with a proper shock type telescopic fork front suspension with a high/low transmission and later still the CT110 which gave it slightly more power.

These were awesome bikes for us kids and we put a lot of miles on them in the fields and on the trails, my Uncle used them for hunting and fishing all over the backwoods in the Lillooet/Bridge River area. I would say they are great for people up to about 150 -160 lbs but any larger, the suspension makes them rough and power is limiting. I have 3 CT90's from the late 60's early 70's in my back yard, two which should run with a little work and one nearly complete but a parts bike. If I can get out from under all the shit I have cluttering my garage might just get them going again, they are quite simple and very reliable machines.

Be well.../B
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

My wife and I have TW200s and love them. I build big front and rear racks for them and they’re great fun and excellent hunting machines. Very quiet and nimble. First gear is basically walking speed.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thShmimz View Post
    I sold my quad and bought an ebike this year. I find I'm running into a lot more game on the roads between spots, and I'm more observant of tracks, scat etc. It is easier to hear as well. The option to choose level of assist is nice. Cold mornings it is nice to warm up with some pedaling, but have the assist there to keep you from sweating. Downside is batteries are expensive, and it would be best to have a spare or a genny running to charge if youre camped. I'm not sure how battery life will be affected by colder weather, but I've driven a tesla in the winter and I can guess it's gonna chew it up real fast. Still I think it is worth the trade offs. Accessibility and relative assurance of stealthy entry into spots are worth it for me. I mounted a gun scabbard for horseback onto the front fork, so transport isnt an issue. Saddle bags or a little trailer would top it off, but I'm not balling that hard yet. Oh, another downside is they've roped the ebikes in with every other motor vehicle for these fire impacted areas. Other than that last aspect its the closest to horseback you can get without being stinking rich, and I have enjoyed it very much so far.
    im curious about e-bikes, did you add a motor kit to an existing bike or buy something already put together?
    I have a fat tire bike (surly wednesday) that I’d like to put a mid mount motor on, but I’m worried about battery life as well. I’ve seen people with custom battery packs who claim an 80 mile (not km) range on logging roads but I think the steep FSR’s around here might burn up batteries pretty darn quick

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    hmmm I thought e-bikes were illegal to use for hunting purposes..????

anyone know if that was the thought or did it happen?
    cheers
    steven
    Electric motorcycles or mopeds (rebranded as "e-bicycles") are illegal for use in motor vehicle closed areas, since they're....vehicles....with motors.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.