Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snows

Re: Snows

I went out this morning to Boundary Bay 64th St.

1. While a bit slow compared to mid season last year, I did my limit of pintails - they were decoying nicely - and seeing not much else pulled up stakes at 10.
    2. I missed a great opportunity at a low flying flight of Canadas coming in from the bay as I was already cleaning up and didn't notice them until they were right on top of me. Previously I had shot at another low flight of Canadas but they were at a distance and I never got the lead right.
    3. Snows are in abundance yes but they are so high. I mean the lowest flight I saw was maybe 200y up. Just a waste of ammo.
    4. Cacklers about the same but they apparently have learned to skirt 64th street as I only saw them give the foreshore a wide berth.

I do have about 70 or so snowie dekes but I would need a very good opportunity to bring them out. Without having a farm to drive right onto, I am too tired to drag them all out by hand. Been teased too many times by those birds.

I find with snowies it is totally a numbers game. You might get singles or small groups checking out your spread but when the groups flying over are in their hundreds, they really have no reason to come down to a smaller group of dekes. And they don't seem to care much for the foreshore. They want farms and fields. Get me on a farm and I will bring out my dekes.

Some of these birds were in range for a decent passing shot, but I would be more comfortable with a more behind (3") to make sure they drop. Over decoys with wheels down is a different matter.

Nice work on the pins, silveragent.

Yea I shoot 3" and am too cheap to buy 3.5" to put into my gun. If you do a web search you can find people's experiments showing negligible improvement of 3.5" over 3". I would rather save my shoulder and my credit card and stick to 3".

I have a gun now that will do the magazine cut off so that if I am loaded for duck I can rack out the chamber and slot in a BB if I see a goose coming in quick. I have had plenty of time to reload all three shells so far this season but am mindful I could do that if I wanted to without much time. Mind you I brought down a Canada with #4 last year too.

Year before I didn't have a job and bought only 2.75" duck loads but still bought a box of 3" BBs. For duck loads - as someone here already said - feet up shots you can be loaded with your cheapest 2.75" anything. At that point you have time and space to aim for the head. My shooting isn't getting any better so if I am by myself and there is no competition around like yesterday, I can afford to be patient and let them circle and come in for the easy shot.

Since Canadas, Cacklers and Snows are all in I am keeping #2 and BB on my belt but still designing my spread for ducks. I found 1 mojo and 6 floaters did the trick yesterday as I didn't have any help with me.